What's the right type of boat to dive from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all the discussion there has been no mention of THE single most important feature of a dive boat: Ease of getting back on the boat.

I've dived(dove?) off boats from 20' - >100'. They have had all kinds of features for comfort and seaworthyness. But nothing constrains the usefulness of a dive boat more than the mechanisim of getting back on the boat.

If the boat is easy to get back onto you can dive in much more difficult surface conditions than not. If the boat is easy to get back onto the chances of diver injury are much less.

Example: On Oahu not long ago I was diving off a 20' boat with a miniscule ladder. It might as well not been there. Sea conditions were, as a boat owner and diver, what I would call extreme. The guy just in front of me was pitched onto the deck; landing on his butt and causing a serious injury. If that ladder had been longer and of a different type that would not have happened.

You said you wanted a boat with diving being its main but not only purpose. So focus on what is a good dive boat first. Then drag the rest along.

Ease of getting back on the boat.

Or..you can look at it another way. If you need to be in great shape to climb back on, you have an excuse not to take Aunt Betty. Might be better liabilty wise.
We have no problem and don't even get the ladder out. Ladders in rough seas are dangerous. A strong flip of your fins and a twist is the fastest, safest most agile way to reboard I have found. Like getting out of the deep end of the pool. It does take a while to develop your "system" of doffing the gear in the water. In the long run, it's actually easier for me than coming up a swim step and having crew grabbing my tank and throwing me off my center of gravity.

There is nothing like a Cat, but again you're looking at 6 figures for a brand new one (with a hardtop cabin). I really like (from what I've seen online) the C-dory Tomcat 25. Again over $100K.....

Ah if money were no object I would want a Callan C-45...

Anyway you're looking at a used boat. A marine survey that will run you about $350 is a must have before buying any used boat.

My number 1 priority in a boat is a hardtop cabin. I don't mind canvas to extend coverage over the back but that's it for me. In the warmer temps perhaps canvas tops are desireable to deal with the heat.

--Matt

matt_unique:
There is nothing like a Cat, but again you're looking at 6 figures for a brand new one (with a hardtop cabin). I really like (from what I've seen online) the C-dory Tomcat 25. Again over $100K.....

Ah if money were no object I would want a Callan C-45...

Anyway you're looking at a used boat. A marine survey that will run you about $350 is a must have before buying any used boat.

My number 1 priority in a boat is a hardtop cabin. I don't mind canvas to extend coverage over the back but that's it for me. In the warmer temps perhaps canvas tops are desireable to deal with the heat.

--Matt

I'm fortunate in that my primary use of a boat now a days is as a waterborne pickup truck in a shallow water environment. That defines the parameters pretty quickly. But, even then, my boat can be used as a dive boat if I were to add a boarding system for safety.(How's that for fancifying a ladder?)

For folks like you all the available choices make the decision process harder.

ArcticDiver:
I'm fortunate in that my primary use of a boat now a days is as a waterborne pickup truck in a shallow water environment. That defines the parameters pretty quickly. But, even then, my boat can be used as a dive boat if I were to add a boarding system for safety.(How's that for fancifying a ladder?)

For folks like you all the available choices make the decision process harder.

A good 4-step SS X-mas tree ladder is a given/necessary addition to any boat! There is nothing like the ability to climb out of the water fully suited. It's a back breaker to pick up your gear after you have exited the water.

--Matt

I think a 34 Ray would be OK. My wife and I just did the Keys in our 28 Grady with six tanks and had plenty of room. Trailering is out of the question with that boat but who cares. As far as finding one under $50K, no problem. There are 34 Rays all over. Can't swing a dead cat in a marina without hitting one.

Here's the cleanest one on the market right now. http://coralgablesyachts.com/core/l...turl=coralgablesyachts&&ywo=coralgablesyachts

Give me a call if you'd like to see it. David 616-490-2104

BTW, The boat is in Michigan but they are trailerable enough to get it anywhere you'd like. Most likely for under $5K. That would keep you under $50 and in the cleanest one around.

I was looking and you in TN? Where would you be berthing this boat at? Are you planing long drives to the coast on a regular basis? Is this you reason for live aboard features?....MAybe if you outlined your plans we coould offer better advice.

cobaltblue:
I think a 34 Ray would be OK. My wife and I just did the Keys in our 28 Grady with six tanks and had plenty of room. Trailering is out of the question with that boat but who cares. As far as finding one under $50K, no problem. There are 34 Rays all over. Can't swing a dead cat in a marina without hitting one.

Here's the cleanest one on the market right now. http://coralgablesyachts.com/core/l...turl=coralgablesyachts&&ywo=coralgablesyachts

Give me a call if you'd like to see it. David 616-490-2104

BTW, The boat is in Michigan but they are trailerable enough to get it anywhere you'd like. Most likely for under $5K. That would keep you under $50 and in the cleanest one around.

That space would be awesome. The 1278 engine hours would likely require a major overall if not already done. A boat that age would likely have core water damage near the externally mounted transducer(s), garboard drain housing, trim tabs, etc. Would also need a permit to trailer something with that beam. (Depends on the state law). Would be good negotiating points armed with a survey though.

--Matt

Wildcard:
I was looking and you in TN? Where would you be berthing this boat at? Are you planing long drives to the coast on a regular basis? Is this you reason for live aboard features?....MAybe if you outlined your plans we coould offer better advice.

Tentatively planning a move to S. Florida. Live aboard would only be for weekends, not long term. While I have not got a marina picked out yet (been looking...) the boat would live at a marina in the Miami area, with us a few miles away on land.

The more I look at the Sea Rays and similar boats the more I realize that I'm probably off my rocker expecting to fit more than 4 - 6 tanks on board and still have room to sleep. Even with a 34' Sea Ray (looking at Sedan Bridge to free up space for tanks) I'm probably going to be limited to putting in a roll control system holding no more than 8 tanks.

Any place on a 34' Sea Ray to put a portable compressor? :D

matt_unique:
That space would be awesome. The 1278 engine hours would likely require a major overall if not already done. A boat that age would likely have core water damage near the externally mounted transducer(s), garboard drain housing, trim tabs, etc. Would also need a permit to trailer something with that beam. (Depends on the state law). Would be good negotiating points armed with a survey though.

--Matt

Matt,

How many hours is average between rebuilds? (I'm about as much of a mechanic as I am a brain surgeon)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom