What's the right type of boat to dive from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let's say you want(ed) to buy a boat. Let us also assume that you are addicted to scuba diving in a way that would make a heroin addict feel uneasy. Lastly, let us assume that you did not win the lottery. So....

What is the right type of boat to buy? Preferably the boat would have the following features, but I've leave it up to you (the knowledgeable ones) to tell me if I'm off my rocker.

1. Powerboat
2. Sleeping arrangements for one couple, preferably two if necessary.
3. Sufficient space to stow dive gear and tanks for 2 - 4 divers for 2 -3 days.
4. Small galley
5. Head with shower or head and deck shower.
6. Seating for 2 - 4 people to enjoy a drink or eat dinner.
7. Appropriate to take into open water (S. Florida / Keys / Bahamas)
8. Adequate storage space for USCG safety gear + DAN O2 kit.

While I'm sure there are hundreds of boats that would fit the bill, for the sake of discussion how about recommendations (used is fine) that would fall into the $0 - $50K range.

A used 26 foot Twin Vee comes to mind. You asking a lot from a smaller boat esp with the two couples part.

You really need to ask yourself how badly do you want the "nice to haves" and realisticaly how often you would use them.
IMO, "nice to haves" on your desired list include: shower, sleeping quarters, and galley.

How often will you actually sleep overnight in the boat?
Remember, for every foot of extra boat, the price increases exponentially.
For 4 divers with sleeping quarters, you're going to need a 28 ft + boat which is way out of my price range.
Another consideration is: are you going to keep it in a marina or trailer it. The marina option will almost double your budget when you figure $300-400 per month storage. If you're going to trailer, anything bigger than 23 ft is a monster out of the water.

I'm in a boat club and have used all kinds of boats including bowriders, cuddys, cruisers, deck boats, pontoons, and center consoles.

Here's my perfect boat for value/function/price:

A 23 ft center console because:

Lots of deck space
Handles 2 to 4' seas well. I don't dive 4 to 6's or more.
Keeps you reasonably dry in the chop.
Will handle up to 4 divers albeit a little tight, but OK if you stay organized.
The console has space for a porta potti for the wife when you're just cruising the ICW.
Good fishing boat.

I would also go with a 225 4 stroke outboard for this boat or even better twin 115's for added safety.

Thanks TLS and Wildcard for the feedback. I've been looking at Sea Ray 34' Express Cruisers (used is doable). I've been trying to limit the search to vessels 27 - 35 ft, with the knowledge that it will cost me $300 - $600 per month for slip space. As for how often we'd overnight on the boat - once or twice per week would be the plan. Having the boat at a marina is expensive, but the convenience of being able to get out and use it whenever we so desired is a major plus.

Impossible in a brand new boat.

I'm in the process of researching for my next boat as well. I own a 19' Bayliner cuddy cabin that I bought brand new in 2000. Always kept on a mooring, did all the things/conditions you describe less the shower and galley. (Slept 4 on Block Island one night with tech gear for two - you have to be hearty!) You would need to define open water a bit. My farthest dive site with 3 divers (4 passengers) with tech gear is 23 miles from shore. If you're talking 200 miles from shore it's a totally different conversation in terms of fuel capacity, range, etc.

I recently attended the New England boat show to explore several lines. I had taken an interest in the C-Dory, Orca, and several other lines but came back to Bayliner. You simply cannot get 'that' size cabin cruiser with all those amenities and space on the water at a better price. 25'8" Bayliner Discovery 246 is probably my next boat. This can be had with closed fresh water engine cooling, hardtop, windlass, trailer and other options for $70K.

The 25' C-Dory was $80K with half the options and much more spartan. The 25' Orca was $100K and also extremely spartan. They also have a nearly flat stern which means pounding like crazy in seas.

It's such a balance of wants.....I would love the cockpit space of one design but it requires you to give up cabin space. More cabin space means less room in the cockpit for dive gear, etc.

--Matt

If trailering is not a concern and the boat will be kept in a slip my choise would be a used 28 foot Bertram. Nice used one can be had for less then 50K. I agree with Matt, impossible in a new boat for under 50K

You will be in a used boat at 50K.

Your requirement for 2 to 3 days diving with say 4 divers will require a lot of space - think about it 4 divers x 2 dives/day x 3 days = 24 tanks. You want to get deep of long then you can be looking at up to 18 twin sets. This is a huge amount of weight and space.

If I could do it I would look at a used Down Easter hull (AKA Lobster Hull). Very seaworth, rugged, stable, and will haul all that you can put on it. They are around with diesels whch should have more hours left and better cursing fule economy then a gas engine. Look for one in the 36' range with a V-berth and fold down seating up top.

From long experiance, the head will be most important to almost any woman. Do not get a port-a-poty go for a fixed head with masarator and holding tank (over board discharge is just about gone in US waters).

As with any boat, get it surveyed, and be ready to spend a lot of $$$ on repairs and upkeep.

I think the 34' Sea Ray is a great choice, so long as its slipped. Some of our friends have 280s', 290's, 300's and a 360. Once you start getting bigger than a 280 towing becomes difficult. Finding one under 50k would be a challenge. My wife and I did the Keys in a 28' Mariah. It was a tight deal with 4 tanks all the dive gear and then living supplys. Best of luck...it sure sounds like fun

Good luck finding a Sea Ray 34' Express Cruisers for under 50k. Even if it's used.

We love the Glacier Bay! We did want a 26' but found a great deal on a pristine 22' and we barely use any fuel. We have taken it interisland and slept in the cabin. Very comfy.

The power cat just rides so nice in big seas...they took one to Midway and out in the Berring Sea. The Twin V always feels a bit too light to me, for Hawaiian waters. (But I like them too)

We are new at this but the experience has been very positive!

check them out---you can go as big as your wallet likes!
The video of the 22' in huge seas is really impressive.

http://www.glacierbaycats.com/

I prefer marine outboards, myself. TWO engines makes me feel more secure when miles from nowhere.

If I were on the mainland shopping, I would shop nationally for a two year old boat from a fresh water lake in the the Minnasota, Wisconsin area. They sit inside for the winters and spend short summers in fresh water.

You could find a great lightly used 26' for around 80K and the resale is very strong on the GB's. Never buy new, unless you have money to burn.

You can easily have 15K in electronics (purchase value) so look for a boat with all that thrown in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom