What's the nicest compliment you've ever received?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay this post hasn't had comments for a few months but I thought I'd throw in my "best compliment" anyway.

I was working with a partner I had worked with off and on for several years. He had applied for another job and was interested in me seeing the manual he had to study to pass the test he needed to write. So, after the shift we went down to his locker and he showed me the book. While he was explaining about the test he was going to have to write, he started changing out of his uniform. When he started to undo his pants, I turned my back to him and started to walk out of the men's locker room saying something like, "okay, that's my cue to get out".

Well, he was all apologetic and said that he totally forgot that I was female and that he just thought of me as one of the guys.

Given the type of work involved, it was the nicest thing a guy has ever said to me. Nothing suggestive, nothing that could be taken the wrong way or be embarrassing or awkward.

Just a reflection that my gender was a non-issue. It still makes me smile when I remember it.

Diverlady

Reactions: Jax
Back when I was teaching biology at a prep school, one of my students who was quite bright but had been quite a disciplinary problem, stopped me as he was about to board the boat to go home for the summer. He said "I hate you Mr. Bushing... but I was never bored in your classes." Years later he e-mailed me from the South Pacific where he was sailing his boat to various islands installing computer networks.

Oops... just noticed this is in the women's forum so I'm not sure this kind of compliment is consistent with the OP's wishes.

Awhile back, Billy Deans..was on our boat divin' incognito..settin, up right across from ME! I was doin' a deep/wreck class..right in front of him..geez! Me, too set to do anything different than my usual, ..Did my class briefing, fielded questions from onlookers..just was myself..tis what I do best..slang an all.
At the end of the day, while we were packin' the gear up...Billy asked me away.. to talk privately (here we go..I'm thinkin') Surprise!! He wanted to compliment me on how I handle class..and the other divers too!!! That's one heck of a compliment..yes, it's nice when a student sings praise..to get praise from another Instructor..huge!!

Last edited:
Here's another: A pretty big guy came into the dive shop for lessons...I was at the counter.. we start talkin'...His buddy told him to get Instructor "JB" cause..JB is one tough Instructor..you'll earn your cert..and be ready for anything after..So this big guy..leans down, so we could be eye to eye, whispers in close and asks me to point out Instructor "JB" While he's lookin' around at the guys..I say.. I'm "JB"
He goes..you're "JB"?! Well, yes, I am! I just look bigger underwater!

I feel uncomfortable with a compliment because if I accept the compliment, that means I agree with the compliment.

If I agree with the compliment, that can be seen as vain.

I'm trying to learn to accept a compliment without taking ownership of it. Hard to do.
Just smile and say, "thank you". Nothing wrong with accepting a compliment and letting it boost your ego for a while. I never apologize for my ego because I'm using my looks for good not evil. :D

Save the Sharks!!!

A favorite line was from a co-worker. I had stopped to talk to a group of 3 or 4 male co-workers and was making my exit when one of them looked me in the eye and said, "We like to see you coming but we LOVE to watch you leave."

A favorite reaction was at the local college. I was wearing a form fitting skirt and high heels (fairly rare for me) and talking to some friends when one said "The golf instructor is staring at your butt" (I wasn't in his class) Right as my friend made the comment the instructor was turning to go through a doorway and went face first into the wall instead because he was so focused on me.
Ber :lilbunny:
That is awesome! :rofl3:

Maybe this isn't the best compliment I've received but it is diving related. (changed mine because I remembered a better story)

My first open water dive was in La Jolla, at the Shores. I went out with the class and did all the stuff we were supposed to do. Then the assistant instructor asked me for my PSI, so I told him using hand signs. He grabbed my pressure gauge and looked at it in disbelief. Then the instructor came up and gave me the okay sign, so I gave him an okay back. He asked me my PSI and I told him and he too didn't believe me. At this point I was wondering, what the heck, am I getting something wrong?

They asked me a few more times during the coarse of the dive and I noticed they were watching me a lot. But it was all good, I was having fun and very relaxed, I enjoyed listening to the new sounds underwater. I felt right at home.

After the dive and before the next one I asked what was wrong. Turns out they were puzzled by my SAC rate. Most people on their first dives suck air like crazy... I didn't. They thought maybe I was holding my breath... but I wasn't (that's why they were watching me and my bubbles). I was on par with their SAC rates. They said I was breathing like an experienced diver (although in fairness, I've always been in my element in the water. Plus, women have smaller lungs anyway).

In time my SAC rate got even better. I joined the club the instructors were associated with and went diving with them a lot. One of the assistant instructors liked to have me as a dive buddy because he said dives with me lasted longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Diving related- from students:

Do you like teaching scuba? You are a very good teacher.

We could not have asked for a better Instructor.

Oops... just noticed this is in the women's forum so I'm not sure this kind of compliment is consistent with the OP's wishes.
???? Oh, right....
You didn't navigate to the forum, OK :wink:

Crap, I just teased one stalked by women. I'm in for it now...

from my longest standing dive buddy (almost 22 years) who is also a scientific/quasi-commercial diver.... "you were very useful on that dive" :) (referring to how i towed him around with my scooter and found intended target - a set of mooring blocks - and then stayed out of way but shined my light where he was assessing the ground tackle)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom