Whats the most worthless thing an LDS has tried or sold to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What is the most worthless piece of equipment an LDS has tried to sell or sold to you.
When I first got certified they tried to sell me my gear and wanted to sell me a $40 or $50 snorkle. Luckly I have friends that have dived for years and they set me straight on what to spend my money on and a $40 snorkle is not one of them.
Also paddle fins instead of splits since Apollo were the only ones making them at the time and they didn't carry them.

The snorkel my oldest daughter decided she wanted was one of those dry things that the LDS was at that time charging 80 bucks for, and, of course, I bought it. Every time I go there to get a tank filled, they try to sell me an accessory for the tank, like a boot or a wrap thing, neither of which I want or need.

A buddy of mine is thinking of taking up scuba, and my advice to him is that he can borrow a snorkel. He'll eventually find one somebody's lost at the bottom of the lake, and that's the snorkel he wants.

There's a funny thing about diving DIR or Hogarthian set equipment. I purchased all of my Halcyon gear from my LDS, and they know that there is nothing else that they can sell me! I won't be buying an AIR2, snorkel keepers, retractors, consoles, or most other doo-dads that they stock.

When I do purchase new stuff (new lights, etc), they know that they'll be the place that I come to because their service is great.

I bought a reel once that was really bad. It jammed (got tangled in the axle) every time I used it. I ended up removing the spool from the housing and building a custom axle for it using things at my local hardware store (includes a door stopper for a handle :) ). It works ok now but it was truly a piece of crap when I bought it. I told my LDS about it, suggested a different model which uses the same spool but a different housing and showed them my modifications on the bad reel. The better ones now hang in the store. The lesson is, *do* tell your LDS when stuff is crap. They need, and often appreciate, the feedback.

R..

A tank banger - plastic ball that is on some elastic around your tank. What a peice of ****.

A "glow-in-the-dark" slate.

Q: (Me)
"Well, you have to shine your light on it to get it to glow, right?"

A: (Dive shop guy)
"Umm...err....yeah, I guess. But after that it glows."

A: (Me)
"Rrrriiiiiiggght. Maybe next time."

:rolleyes:

Now, as for the snorkel. I do have one of those nice dry snorkels....BUT.....I use it only for snorkeling, scalloping, and such. Do I regret getting it...well...a little :). IMHO, snorkels are for snorkeling.

...tried to tell me that in order to take TDI Advanced Nitrox I needed to have the following PADI specialty certifications: Boat, Deep, Night, and Multilevel.

O-ring once bubbled...
...tried to tell me that in order to take TDI Advanced Nitrox I needed to have the following PADI specialty certifications: Boat, Deep, Night, and Multilevel.

That's a good one, TDI requireing PADI courses.

Back
Top Bottom