What's the most efficient fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the Mares AvantiQuatro fins. They are very good fins most of the time. However if I do a beach dive and if the surf is strong (Southern Cal.), I find them very hard to use, I just don't have the strenght...well... I do, but then once I pass the surf area I am exausted and then I then my legs start cramping. I am thinking my fins might be too long, I am also looking into split fins... What do you think?

wow... let's open up a can of worms :wink:

i liked my Quatros, but when i tried the ScubaPro Jetfins, that was it. the Jetfins are stiffer, and give better purchase in the water, especially when you need to fight a current

split fins are great for fast speeds without currents. some people swear by them against currents too.

it really depends on your kicking style. i'd recommend some JetFins, but you might hate them and love the split fins instead

ain't diving great?

:wink:

bottom line is, there's no substitute for you trying out a few fins and seeing which ones work best for you

I am not blaming the fins, just trying to find something that better suit me and easier on my legs... Not finding your comment very constructive...

Andy said it..... try to borrow different ones and try them out. A lot of shops will allow you to do that if they think they might be able to sell you some. You can do rentals as well.

i just switched from twin speeds to twin jets and I really like the twin jets. Primarily because they are shorter and easier to move around in when on dry land. the twin speeds are also quite long and a bit clumsy when in confined areas like kelp.

2 knee surgeries + my style kicking

I use the Apollo Bio Fin XT with C-Springs

love them to death..

I use ScubaPro Twin Jets and I've always loved them. I noticed a huge difference after I tore my ACL and had to have reconstructive surgery on my knee - The Split fins for me are deffinately less work to swim with.

I just purchased some OMS Slipstreams. They are not as stiff as the Jet Fins, But trying force fins, Dacor paddle fins and some split fins. I would trade the Slipstreams for anything they are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom