What's the most efficient fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla:
Not finding your comment very constructive...
You usually won't.

I dive Apollo Bios...

I *used* to cramp... like you... until the Apollos...

Oh... and sometimes you *can* blame an issue on your gear...

Two artificial hips and three knee operations. Force Pros, No good on the surface.

You really might be one who would benefit from split fin technology.
I have a pair of Apollos which I use when I know I will have to move briskly for extended periods or if I will be dealing with currents.
I can't speak to surf entries. Try to rent, borrow or what ever some split fins see how they work.
There are many manufacturers and different weights and stiffnesses, but you may find the fit the bill.

I have tried a whole bunch of fins and settled on Scuba Pro Jets. Bear in mind tho that they are not for everyone. I went looking for them in Key Largo and the lady who sold then said "BRICKS!!! They weigh a ton! I dont see why anyone would want them! Why dont you buy a good pair of fins?" She meant regular plastic compound.

Jets are a great fin but you have to have leg strength. If not then I would recommend splits.

Fins are for sissies. Truly dedicated divers have their toes fused and feet flattened in a wine press.

Being new to scuba diving I havent used a whole lot of different fins. As for being in the water all my life I do know how to swim. From surfing, playing water polo to being an ocean life guard I have paddled and swam with the best.

I recentely bought the Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins and they are truly amazing fins. I am a quick burst type kicker. I like how the split fins are designed for more of a kick from the knee down instead of a full leg kick. You will find so much control in the water from slight direction changes with a slight movement from one leg or the other. I am also very happy how I can change my body position with a swirl motion just like sitting on a surfboard and using your feet like a tug boat using it nozzle type props.

I can only recommend the fins I have used and these Twin Jet Max fins in my opinion live up to the hype.

Jack

I have several fins, like them all for different reasons. As far as getting pass the surf zone quickly and comfortably, I really like my twin jets (splits).

I was going to say that the most efficent fin was whatever was attached to my feet but instead, I'll say for surf entry's I like the ScubaPro Jets or other knockoff's like OMS Slipstreams ect.

For boat dives and travel, I use Cressi Reactions.

Dave

somewhereinla:
I am also looking into split fins... What do you think?

As long as you buy them from Leisurepro, make sure that you have a BP/W, have a 7 foot octo hose, all your gear is black and you wear your mask on your forehead on the surface, your choice of fins should not be a problem! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom