What's the most efficient fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For sheer power, it's hard to beat a good pair of Jets, but you have to have the legs to move them. If you're having cramping issues, and hitting the gym is not an option to cure the root of the problem, a good pair of splits is probably a great option. I highly recommend the Apollo Bio-Fin XTs. They avoid a number of the usual complaints about splits with only a small compromise in increased effort.

If you can find a pair to borrow (lots of divers in LA, ya know), see what you think before you plop down a bunch of money.

somewhereinla:
I am doing another beach dive this week. I'll rent some split fins and see what the hype is all about...
Not all splits are created equal, and not many places (if any) offer all the main archetypes to rent.

If you want to really test the best of the range, I would try:

1) Apollo BioFin Pro (black)
2) Apollo BioFin XT (grey)
3) ScubaPro Twin Jets (black)
4) Atomic SplitFins
5) Tusa X-Pert Zoom splits (the budget option)

All have very different pros and cons, even from a split fin perspective.

Look into Force Fins, the Pro or Tan Delta depending on your stiffness and rebound preference. Tan delta Stiffness 90 / rebound 100 and Pro Stiffness 85 / rebound 95, I think are the numbers.

Best Fishes!!! <;///><

PS whatever you decide to purchase you should have tried them prior. I always suggest to my students to rent / try before you buy. Many shops will refund the rental price toward the purchase of gear if you select to get it from them. Its your money, choose wisely and it will serve you well for years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom