What's the difference between these two spools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like the hub is different, other than that, its brand name cost....

That's a Halcyon cold water spool -- the secondary "hub" makes it easier to clip a double-ender off in thick gloves or with cold hands.

Reactions: Jax
The main difference is the spool. The Halcyon spool is of a very robust material - that is the primary difference.

The spool featured in the advert/picture on your link is actually the 'coldwater' version of the Defender. If you look at the pricing options, it is £11 more expensive. If you were diving in cold water (UK) and wearing thicker gloves, the Halcyon 'Coldwater Defender' is a good purchase, as it has a wider finger hole for DSMB deployment. The standard Halcyon Defender looks very much like the DiveRite one.

Some of the cheaper spools available (not saying I'd count the DiveRite version as a 'cheap' spool) have a low quality assurance. I've seen some spools where the line is not continuous - and is welded together (a cost saving production measure where odd lengths are used).. this has a significant safety implication - especially where the spool may be used within an overhead environment.

That said, the spools i use typically cost about US$15. Very cheap. They work fine and I view them as 'disposable'. If I have to leave one tied inside a wreck, I am not going to cry over the financial loss involved. The line only lasts me about 6 months anyway, before it degrades to an untrustworthy state...from intensive diving and use within wrecks.

However, with the cheaper spools, I do make sure to reel out the line under some tension and check every inch of it before use (I'd probably do this with any reel I bought).

I've never had a problem with the spool itself breaking, so the 'H' spool seems very 'over-engineered' for the task.

I do always make sure that I get a S/S double ender though.

For the simplicity of spools and thier ultimate ease of use, there isn't really a need to spend more than needed for one. Reels are a different story.

I've never had a problem with the spool itself breaking, so the 'H' spool seems very 'over-engineered' for the task.

If you clip them off to a butt d-ring, you can find out how good the Delrin is . . . when you sit on them. Cheap plastic spools BREAK.

What about these two they look identical and have four wheels on the ground and an engine, but shouldn't they be the same price?

2009-Porsche-911-Carrera-01.jpg

2011_Hyundai_Sonata_along_the_coast.jpg

I personally use a stainless spool that takes up much less room in my small pocket and has a larger center opening to accommodate thick dry gloves (Yes the H has a large opening too) and costs about as much as both of those spools listed above together.

What about these two they look identical and have four wheels on the ground and an engine, but shouldn't they be the same price?

Good analogy.

So the 'H' spool deploys at twice the speed of the Diverite one?

...and gets you laid? :wink:

I personally use a stainless spool that takes up much less room in my small pocket and has a larger center opening to accommodate thick dry gloves (Yes the H has a large opening too) and costs about as much as both of those spools listed above together.

Surely the size of the spool relates to the length of line it holds? How does stainless allow you to accomodate more line, around the same diameter?

Must be a bugger if you drop it... at least with a plastic spool you've got a shot at grabbing it, if it is unraveling.

Do they sell a gold plated one? Or would you just order that as a special custom job? It'd look nice with your diamond encrusted LPI and ruby-mounted depth gauge. :wink:

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom