What's the biggest standard tank size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So how big do they get? I learned on 80s and found out there were 100s when I went to Coz and told my DiveOp that, as a newbie and a guy, I wolf down air. I went poking around the internet yesterday and saw 120 (!) Do they come bigger than that? And if so, what's the down side?

Well I have a 130 and a couple 120's and love them. I can normally get two dives on one tank with my normal buddy using an AL 80. The only down side is weight. Trying to carry them to the boat or to the dive site.

The biggest one that I know of is a 149 made by Faber. There may be bigger out there.

Phil

The biggest tank I know of is the LP120 which when filled to 3800psi holds 173cf of air. I actually have two of these doubled which gives me about 350cf of air. They are heavy though, when filled to 3800psi they are roughly 15lbs negative each, and weigh ~55lbs each when empty.

So one could take down one 149 and hold just about as much as as a set of double 80s! It's an interesting thought.

So one could take down one 149 and hold just about as much as as a set of double 80s! It's an interesting thought.

But I don't think you would want to carry the 149 very far versus the doubled 80's. I ran into a chart for the 149 and oh my goodness it was pretty heavy. Also the doubled 80's would end up really positive where the 149 would be pretty negative.

The biggest "common" tanks are the 130's. The l.p. 120's are few and far between and I've never seen the much vaunted 149.

I ran into a pair of 185s at the LDS recently, they were huge and looked pretty new. The owner wasn't there and the clerks didn't know much.

Peye

149's. Somehow I don't see them being 2lbs positive empty. I was thinking of buying one and using it as a small bank tank for nitrox. But for the price I would buy a used 444 for $200 or a new one for around $500. A lot more nitrox for the same $$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom