Whats the best way to get the ammonia taste out of fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prolly black cod, aka Sablefish. Nasty stuff!

Try seasoning the fish with fermented nuoc mam paste. Be sure to get the kind that comes in a thin metal flask.

I hope this question is not an oblique reference to that old Adam and Eve joke. Very poor taste.

Hank49:
This is funny. I mean, I'm American too and basically Americans don't like "fishy" fish. But if you go to the Philippines, tuna, Mahi etc are the cheaper fish in the market because Filipiinos (at least in Iloilo province) like the fishy taste. If I could attach an image, I'd show you what I had for breakfast every morning while camping on the beach in Anani'i two weeks ago. Dried fish. Talk about "fishy tasting". but after the first bite, it's great...kind of like some cheeses.

True, but we get very fresh fish from the market too. Outstanding seafood. We even get sashimi grade tuna from the market.

The West Indians I knew always soaked fish in milk first overnight.

It needs to be fatty milk, like whole or 2% because the fat draws the fishy part out.

I still do it sometimes, like fish for fish tacos that might be more than one day old.

agilis:
Try seasoning the fish with fermented nuoc mam paste. Be sure to get the kind that comes in a thin metal flask.

I hope this question is not an oblique reference to that old Adam and Eve joke. Very poor taste.

Lol, you accuse me of making a reference to some joke in poor taste, yet you recommend that I dump a sauce made of fermenting anchovies and salt on my fish to remove the fishy taste!

Make sure all the red meat is removed from the fish. That is what makes it taste bad. If you will then soak the fish in milk almost all the fishy taste will be gone, but you must be vigilant and remove all the red meat.

David, I wqs not accusing you of anything! I was only expressing a hope.

On the other thing, believe me: the fishy taste will not really be noticable any more. Also, don't "dump" that fish sauce on your flounder fillet. A spoonful or two will suffice. Another trick I learned is to soak a small bit of absorbent flannel in gasoline, and take a few breaths through your nose while holding the cloth an inch or two away from your upper lip. Do not let the gasoline actually touch your face.

The advice from others on soaking it in milk is what I've heard repeatedly. Of course with the increase in milk prices lately, this could make that an expensive proposition!

Back
Top Bottom