Whats the best way to get the ammonia taste out of fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
This is funny. I mean, I'm American too and basically Americans don't like "fishy" fish. But if you go to the Philippines, tuna, Mahi etc are the cheaper fish in the market because Filipiinos (at least in Iloilo province) like the fishy taste.
Some fish is what I (and at least some other folks) like to call "gamey" even when it's fresh. Bluefish and bonito are good examples that comes to mind. This strongly flavoured fish SHOULD taste and smell strongly, but not like old fish, even when dried. I think of "fishy" and "gamey fish" as being distinctly different flavors, and I'm not aware of any way to get the gamey taste out of those fish (if that's something you'd want to do), although I might try the milk trick next time out of curiosity.

any fish that isn't suitable to eat without soaking it and dousing it with stuff, I'm not eating.

Wildcard:
Prolly black cod, aka Sablefish. Nasty stuff!
Did you get bad sablefish?

I've had it as sushi, grilled, pan fried... and wouldn't describe it as anywhere approaching nasty.

Tastes will vary, I'm certain... but I don't like strong flavored fish and found black cod to be every bit as enjoyable as halibut, lingcod, pacific cod, or rockfish.

(I'm a whitefish fan... I'm burned out on salmon)

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom