Whats the best setup for a new guy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do have more choices then just a harness and backplate. For instance OMS makes there IQ pack which enables you to have a backplate but still have the adjustments and padding that the other BC's provide. I have both the IQ and the standard harness. The IQ doesn't get used as I can't tell a difference in comfort. I can however tell that I am more stream lined and simpler really is better in this sport.

The fact is it is good to hear from both those who like it and those who don't. Everybody is built different and it's impossible for one company to make everyone happy. Knowing some of the bad traits and good you will know what to pay attention to when you are in the water with each setup. I was at my LDS once and I was talking one of the employee's about how my friend didn't like his Zeagle Ranger because it pushed his face forward in the water. The employee told me if that is happening he doesn't know what he is doing. Now my friend has been diving for over 20yrs and I'm sure he does know what he is doing. IMHO though it's the BC combined with his body build that causes the problem. A person with a 42" waist isn't going to have the same Buoyancy characteristics as a person with a 32" waist. My point is you can only discover if this setup works if you try it out for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom