Whats the best setup for a new guy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seamuseg

Reaction score
I will be taking classes Oct 19 and 20 to get certified and would like to purchase some equipment. What is the best all around setup to get? I really don't know much about diving yet and must learn. I've already got the fins and snorkel. Any help would be great, thx!
Seamus

This may seem strange, but the best thing to do is to rent different stuff for a little while and acquire your own tastes. Beware, there are a lot of internet types that are zealous about certain kinds of dive gear. Expect a lot of people to recommend that you buy a backplate, which I don't recommend for newly minted divers because they are uncomfortable, hard to adjust (both based on experience) and really designed for doubles.

Well I agree with leadweight on the point that you should try some differnt types of gear before you buy.

And take the class before you buy.

But, I bought my BC and Reg before I ever took a class. And have had no problems with it. I bought a Dive Rite Transpac ll BC and ScubaPro MK20/G500. All top equipment. And still use it.

Now, what I use now more often is a

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

Backplate and 27lb Halcyon wing. I have many different brands of Backplate. So when I go to doubles I don't have to switch stuff around. It's not that big of a deal to switch but to me the cost wasn't that great so I bought a couple extra backplates.

And I use Apeks TX50/DS4 for regs. I still use my ScubaPro's alot to. Never had a problem with either regs. And I have a total of 9 of them now.

One thing that leadweight is completely wrong about is that the backplate harness is designed for doubles. That's complete bull. It's Designed to be used for Singles as well as doubles. Depending on how you set it up. Anybody who tells you different doesn't know the system very well.

Some people don't like the backplate but it was definately designed for both dual tanks and single tanks.

But first go through your class. Then rent some gear and try the Extreme Exposure try before you buy program. They sell you a Backplate and wing and if within 30 days you don't like it send it back for a refund. You do have to pay the shipping though. But do dive it more than 1 or 2 times before you decide it isn't for you. So many people try it in the pool once and since it's different than what they are used to they don't like it. It took me about 15-20 dives before I got used to it and liked it. Now I wouldn't go back. But I also started out with rear inflate wings anyway.

Oh, one other thing. The backplate when properly set up isn't in any way uncomfortable to me. In fact it's the most comfortable BC I've ever used. And I work with a dive shop and can pretty much try any gear I want. We've changed gear suppliers a couple of times. And it's easily packable with a small wing for trips too. Much smaller than a regular BC. And with an Aluminum plate a lot lighter too.

While I agree to a point that rental is a useful tool for experiencing different equipment. Understand that rental equipment is generally abused and not necessarilly an indication of the quality of the retail product.
To me at least this seemed particularly true of regulators, one rental to the next would vary widely with ease of breathing and dryness even though they would be the same brand and model.

If a BP is for singles too, why do you need a single tank adaptor to make it work while banded doubles just bolt up to the thing? Ok, Halcyon integrated STA, that is a clever proprietary item that did not exist until about a year ago. Ever look at a BP when it is attached to doubles? The shape is perfect for that application. The bump in the center of the BP is there to go in the gap between the two tanks and provide a place for the sing nuts to hide without gouging the diver's back. It is just so obvious...

9 regulators? I suppose that is better than investing in the stock market, but you can only breath one at a time. I know guys that are full cave divers and they only own 3 regs. 2 din for doubles and a yoke job for singles.

Very cool thx for the tips, I always like to get as much info as i can before getting my feet wet:) hehe

leadweight,

What do your Cave Diver friends use for stage deco. If they only have 3 regs. 2 for doubles, one for stage. I have a 50/50 deco and a 100%deco. That brings the total to 4 regs I need. And if you throw in travel gas and trimix just keep adding regs. 2 being Nitrox. Since it's over a 40% O2 content. I have 2 sets of duals with regs set up for them. One set I use for Drysuit the other for wetsuit. Or just to have 2 sets of duals ready to go on site. That's 6. 2 for spares to carry with. That's 8 and 1 for singles. That's 9.

You can get by with less but it's easier to just grab and go. And no. Everybody doesn't need 9 regs. But it's nice to have them.

And actually the first Backplates were plastic and had bands mounted on them for a single. That I can remember. You used a horse collar BC. Backplates have been around since Before BC's. Remember Mr. Cousteuo.

And no the bump in the center of the backplate isn't there to go between the 2 tanks. It's there to keep the bolts from gouging you, period. Doesn't matter on duals or a single with a STA. They both use bolts. Halcyons new setup doesn't. I use it now and it's nice.

In your theory I could say it's actually made for singles not doubles. Since you have to use extra steel bands to keep the tanks together. Heck if it was originally made for duals it would come with the bands welded to the backplate. So it must be made for singles..... Since you need bands to hook the duals up to the thing.

It's built for both.

And I invest in the stock market too. And yes. My regs are a better investment then stocks now.....

1. Your regs are definitely a better investment than the stock market these days, there was a bit of humor in my post but you missed it.

2. Dont confuse a plastic backpack with a metal backplate. Plastic backpacks were designed for singles. There is a depression in the center to hold the tank securely near the diver's back. On ametal backplate a single tank is offset from the diver's back by the bulge.

3. I don't doubt your credentials as a diver. The problem is that as a technical diver you are very far removed from the needs of a new diver. Apparantly, you are unable to put yourself in his shoes. I am very tired of watching technical divers recommend equipment that works for them to new divers who need something else on the argument that that these new divers will go technical (what 1 in 25 chance?) and "save some money" by starting out with a backplate. None of these guys understand that diving doubles involves a lot more than just having more air available on their backs.

Hi seamuseg,

Welcome to the board. I started out with a Zeagle Ranger BC and loved it. I had originally told the LDS that I wanted a rig that could take me to a tech level of diving. Having know idea what this was at the time, I was happy with the Ranger. Once I started diving doubles I discovered this was not the best setup and I switched to a backplate. I figured I would keep the Ranger and dive both depending on what I was doing. After awhile I sold the Ranger though. The reason why is because the backplate worked very well with singles or doubles. It is just as comfortable if not more. I also decided that it was best to not constantly change gear as familiarization is very important.

Is a backplate right for you. Only you can answer that. First you have to ask your self. Do you have any intention at all of diving beyond a recreational level. If you do then a plate is the way to go. But before you buy you should still try a few different kinds as you might discover that you dislike one or the other.

Good luck

what kind of BC system you will like until you dive the different ones.

If you're buying gear, I think you absolutely should try a BP+Wing, a back inflate (e.g. Scubapro Knighthawk) and a "conventional" jacket BC (Seaquest, etc) before you buy ANY BC.

Yes, try all THREE.

If your LDS won't or doesn't support all three, find one that does or find someone who has the gear and will let you try them on a real dive.

I did, I have, and the BP+Wing is what I prefer.

Today, I dive singles with it.

I STILL prefer it, because I can take most of my weight off my belt, it is FAR easier to trim myself properly with it, and I find it a far more secure and comfortable fit underwater.

YOU may not prefer it though - but you will never know unless you try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom