What's more important to you: prevent loss, or ability to use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I considered posting this in the "general travel" forum, but looking at the topics there (which all seemed to have to do with going to one particular destination or another), I decided to post my question here. It's at least as much "basic scuba" as dive shop discussions :)

Anyway - when you travel via plane to dive, and you're deciding what to carry on, vs what to check, WHILE I REALIZE you may consider OTHER issues, which of the following two statements MOST describes your decision making process (please ignore other issues for this purpose):

a). I want to make sure I can use my own stuff. I will carry on the complete assembly of items to enable this goal. For example, besides carrying on my regs, I will also carry on the hoses. If I carry on a pony bottle, I will carry on everything required to use it (bracket, reg, hose, whatever).

b). I want to prevent loss (theft, misrouting, breakage or otherwise) of my expensive stuff because I don't want to have to put out the money to replace it (airline "coverage" sucks and doesn't cover much anyway).

Of course, the only reason why you are bringing your own stuff is because you want to use your own stuff (for one reason or another) - please look past that point when deciding on A or B above.

Here's the reason why I ask - my MAIN goal is "B" - prevent loss of expensive stuff (even though I have gear insurance that would cover it, and "A" is a strong component - just not as strong as "B"). When I travel, I completely break down my regs (including disconnecting the 2nd stage from the hose), which it a lot easier to create a compact package for carrying stuff on the plane.

So - I am in the process of packing my own stuff for a trip I am taking soon. I am considering putting my hoses, which are rather bulky, in CHECKED luggage, while carrying on the actual regulators. The less stuff I have to carry on, the better - and if my hoses come up missing, it's not as bad as losing my dive computers and regs. On the other hand, and this is the point I am trying to explore - if I don't have my hoses, then my regs are not going to do me much good - unless I can rent/borrow/buy hoses. Not real ideal and may not always be possible (i.e. I'd have to rent a whole reg in some places I suspect). My hosed AI dive computer will be useless, since it is set up for quick-disconnect and really needs its specific hose. So - I am just thinking about what to do. Should I go ahead and disconnect my hoses, and carry them on anyway (which still makes it easy to handle/pack the more fragile 2nd stage "heads") - thus making my carry on heavier, or should I just check the hoses and hope for the best - esp. since my BC and fins and booties and such are checked anyway (and in the same bag) - so I'll be eating **** sandwiches in terms of using own gear if my bag gets "lost" on the way there anyway (now - on the way HOME - check the hoses, it's not an issue). Or am I just an idiot for breaking down my stuff to travel anyway - and would be better served leaving it all connected to reduce wear & tear on the connectors or for some other reason?

So, anyway - that's the question - and if it matters, we're talking about complete gear for two people, not just one.

Thanks!
ND

I travel with my reg + computer in my carry-on on account of both (a) and (b).

With all due respect, I think you're an "idiot" (your word!) for breaking down your reg setup for plane travel like that. It's even more nonsensical to separate the hoses from the 1st and 2nd stages since one is useless without the other. You must really enjoy assembling and disassembling your reg setup. IMHO you're over-thinking the whole packing process...

If you carry extra hoses for a save-a-dive kit, then by all means check those.

Your carry-on should be large enough to fit two reg setups if necessary -- unless you've got one of those tiny "Hello Kitty" backpacks (in which case you might have other issues). When I travel with my gf, we each carry our own reg, dive computer, camera, and UW camera housing in a small "personal item" bag. In a small backpack, I'll carry my laptop. In her backpack, she'll carry some food. Not a big deal really.

Have fun on your vacation.

P.S. I'm just curious. How many warm water vacations have you done?

I'm with Bubbletrubble....why would you want to disassemble your regs? Hoses are easily coiled and do not weigh that much in regard to other gear.

I travel with my reg + computer in my carry-on on account of both (a) and (b).
Yes, but the question was WHICH is more important to you, a or b?

With all due respect, I think you're an "idiot" (your word!) for breaking down your reg setup for plane travel like that.
Fair enough :)

It's even more nonsensical to separate the hoses from the 1st and 2nd stages since one is useless without the other. You must really enjoy assembling and disassembling your reg setup.
It takes, what, 5 minutes? It's not much effort :)

Your carry-on should be large enough to fit two reg setups if necessary -- unless you've got one of those tiny "Hello Kitty" backpacks (in which case you might have other issues). When I travel with my gf, we each carry our own reg, dive computer, camera, and UW camera housing in a small "personal item" bag. In a small backpack, I'll carry my laptop. In her backpack, she'll carry some food. Not a big deal really.
Well, it's a matter of how much do you want to carry around at the airports and the priority thereof :)

P.S. I'm just curious. How many warm water vacations have you done?
Umm....let me think. Australia, Egypt, Hawaii, New Mexico, Florida....so I guess that's five. Mexico will be #6, if my memory is good.

I'm packing right now, in fact.

Carry-on consists of my camera, strobes, laptop, mask (prescription lenses), dive computer and canister light. Everything else goes in checked luggage.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah, ND, you might be overthinking this.

When I travel to dive (which is pretty much every time I dive) my SO and I pack regs and computers in our carry-on luggage due to A and B, and check the rest. No reason to break down the reg. My SO also carries on his prescription mask, but I check my non-prescription mask (I kinda want a new one anyway...)

I also always get trip insurance, and if the rest of our gear gets waylaid, lost, stolen, whatever, we can deal with rental/replacement fins, wetsuits, bcs and still have our computers (harder to learn on the fly) and regs (key equipment and I prefer my own).

edit: if you have insurance, B is less important than A, no?

i agree with all of the above suggestions, traveling thru airports is difficult enough. Keep it simple put you're assembled regs/computer and valuable gear in a backback with what ever other carry on stuff you require. If you want to bring you're complete rig or even 2 comp rigs pick up a hard case travel case, I think mine is made by pelican. Put a couple TSA approved locks on it and go have fun. The only thing you want to watch with the hard case is many airlines have gotten very strict about weight restrictions on checked bags so do a little research and weigh you're bag at home. If bringing wetsuits leave some head room on the weight because they are going to be wet/heavier on the way home. Most decent LDSs will have cases and locks designed for this purpose. The cases can be a little $$ but so is rental gear. I have done this more than a few times inside the US and internationally and never had problem. Don't try to use any locks that don't clearly say TSA approved and or have the TSA symbol on them they will just be cut off. And it tends to P.O. the airport and customs people (not a good thing)!!!! HAVE FUN KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

When I packed for my last trip, carry on was housing for camera and strobes and stuff to put it together. There was also one day/night's clothes in it. In my backpack, camera,lenses, laptop, and snacks.

All my dive gear went in checked baggage.

I've been to Equador (Galapagos Islands), Vancouver, Bahamas and Egypt traveling that way. Never had a problem with my checked baggage but did have problems with all that carry on on the way back from Egypt in Paris. We had to go through security as we were leaving from a different international terminal. The "TSA" equivalent asked me what's in the bag. I said camera housing and strobes. He said "take it out." He asked what was in the backpack. I said camera and I'd already removed my laptop. He said "take it out." I used 6 bins to get through security. :)

put you're assembled regs/computer and valuable gear in a backback with what ever other carry on stuff you require.
That might work great, if you don't have a recent back injury.

Don't try to use any locks that don't clearly say TSA approved and or have the TSA symbol on them they will just be cut off. And it tends to P.O. the airport and customs people (not a good thing)!!!!
I don't bother using TSA locks any more. Every single time I have used them, they have been cut off (and it's not like they're free!). Now I just use zipties if I want to try to keep something closed.

As for "keeping it simple" - I didn't think I was suggesting anything complicated. Besides which, even if I carry the hoses on, I'm still going to disconnect everything, so that it packs more tightly.

FWIW - in the box in the photos- the box is 13"x10"x5" (and very easily carried by one hand, or shoulder strap) and it has:

• My laptop (which is under everything you can see)
  • 3 first stage regulators
  • 3 second stage regulators
  • one yolk to din adaptor
  • two dive computers and one transmitter
  • two compasses
  • one dive alert

There is no way I could pack it that tightly by leaving all of the hoses attached, let alone everything all connected up.

The other box I carry is a Pelican 1520, with UW camera/strobe setup and 2 dive masks.

That leaves my wife to "carry" the roller (with pony bottle, possibly hoses, and anything else she wants to put in there) and whatever second bag and contents she may want to carry (bathroom stuff, food, reading materials, whatever).

Overall, the carry-on stuff is a fairly lightweight package of goods - whether or not we take the hoses :)

My question was really more about what is MORE important to people, A or B in the OP :)

Attachments

• box_4.jpg
    box_4.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 19
  • box_3.jpg
    box_3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 18
  • box_5.jpg
    box_5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 16
  • box_2.jpg
    box_2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 20
  • box_1.jpg
    box_1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 32
I carry on my laptop, cameras, housings and dive computers, and insure everything else.
I am also willing to pay extra for a non-stop flight when possible. I pack my gear in an Akona roller bag and I have never lost any gear. (Lots of flights) I also use zipties.

Back
Top Bottom