What's inportant to the new scuba diver student?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did it last year, my first concern was a good instructor. One that was not impatient. One that really wanted me to learn the sport, not just shove me through a class to collect money. Have to say, I scored big on this one. Only one shop within 100 miles of me and the instructors there are excellent. I don't take any classes anywhere until I get home and take them with that dive shop. That alone gave me a lot of confidence and made the sport fun.

What most noobs would appreciate?

A clear and concise printed-out descrption of exactly what is going to happen, each meeting day of the process. Most operations simply do not provide that.

for me.. Im a info hog but I know alot of people are just looking to get through a class and into the open water. So I tend to ask alot of questions after the class too.

An instructor who is patient or enough DM's around to work with students on a one to one basis if they were struggling with a particular skill.

Flexibility in the programme to account for student difficulties

Small class numbers. I was in a class of 12 in the class room. We were split into 2 groups for pool and OW but it was not ideal

Good facilities at the classroom...our school didn't have bathroom facilities on the Sunday as they are by a diver shop who doesn't open on a Sunday...maybe of for boys but not girls

Good equipment

but most of all to have staff who actually remember what it was like to be a brand new diver and scared of everything...I think this goes a long way...:)

Jo

Trust.

Greetings,
Clear concise communication.
Confident good attitude, cordial not arrogant.
Trustworthy.
Puntual, On time or early calling if delayed.
Respectful to ALL.
Humility.

Tall order for a mere mortal but I try to emulate these characteristics as well.
I can say that I was modeled these during my training as a OW - DM!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Go in with an open mind and odds are, the instructor knows a lot more than you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom