What's everyone using for Dive Logs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkyAce2004

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ive only got 9 dives under my belt, but I just got AOW certified this past weekend. I have the paper book that was given to me with my OW course, but its falling apart already.

Ive seen some of the logs in the dive shop, but they seem a bit expensive for just being a folder with some paper in it.

Is there any place I can download pre-made sheets I can just print out and stick in my log as I go along? Ive also got a computer so I can download, print out and then attach to the log sheet.

Im just curious to see what everyone uses.

I use plain old composition book. The downside is that I have tables and "C" cards in the typical dive folder and the comp. book won't fit in it. I refuse to pay the money people are asking for dive log sheets so I'm using the composition book. For me, I don't need that pre-printed info on those dive log sheets.

I'm looking for a zipper type case with standard size note paper. I don't want a huge case like those "trapper-keepers" kids use.

I was thinking about going to staples and buying one of those planner notebooks (that zips up), and is about half the size of 8.5x11, and print out sheets, and keep that in a ziplock bag in my dive bag. But Im almost positive someone on here can provide me with a dive log template I can just print out =)

I would copy your dive pages onto regular 8x11 paper. Cut them in halves. Buy a $1 punch at the dollar store, and put into a small 3 ring binders. Don't bring the log book with you diving, just the few blank pages, and a pen or pencil. After a dive, have your buddy sign the pages. Go home, fill it out, and put into the log book. I keep a book for my original dive log, and a copied book that I take on trips with me, just in case someone demanded to see my dive logs. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about losing them.

I decided to get a framework up that will last a long time, and can be extensible.

I have webspace, and set up a MySQL database to store all my dive info. The front end is not up yet, but utilizing PHP and stylesheets, I can create professional looking formatting to print out entries, as well as blank forms. Better yet, i can search by varying criteria if i ever get the time to code it.

There was a thread a while ago that had people who did their logs in excel... search for "dive log excel" in the diy forum (also "log book pages"), it is there somewhere. There are also plenty of ready-made forms that people have created to print out on thicker-than usual paper or waterproof paper to be bound into a logbook.

Here is a copy of my log book:

DIVE # __ Site:_________Date:_____________

PSI START______ END_______ TIME IN ___________ OUT___________

DEPTH: ____ BOT TIME ____ WEIGHT_________________

FRESH SALT SHORE BOAT WAVES CURRENT SURF SURGE NIGHT DAY

LOW VIS EXTREME LO VIS WARM COOL VERY COLD ICE WRECK CAVE

EXPOSURE SUIT: _______________________________________________________________

BC TYPE: __________ FIN: _________ REG _________ COMP _______________________

TEMP AIR _______ WATER _______ VISIBILITY _____ HAZARDS __________________

ACTIVITY: _____________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS:_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VERIFICATION BY: ____________________________________________
CERT #: ______________________ INSTRUCTOR DIVEMASTER BUDDY

the problem with searching: you cant search for anything under 4 letters long (like LOG). So I get a LOT of other inquiries im not looking for.

Dive Log? Whats that?

I like to keep it old skool, clay tablets and a chisel.

cuneiform-intro.jpg

I actually write my logs in Cuneiform too, so no one can copy off of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom