what's better semi dry /regular wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cchuckie51

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
what's better a semi dry with a hood 7mm
or a 7mm 2 piece framer john for comfort and warmth
semi dry front zip or back zip better
really can't afford a dry suit right now so looking for other options
do most diving in cold water quarry

It's a matter of preference. I never really liked FJ, thus I would suggest a SD since I own one and is very happy with it.

Pretty much by definition a semi-dry is going to be better. Each is a neoprene foam suit with similar insulating properties. While some divers claim to remain somewhat dry in a semi-dry suit what you should expect is zero water circulation. That greatly enhances the warmth.

A true semi-dry suit will have true seals at all openings and a watertight zipper. There are some glorified wetsuits with flip seals and other features that a billed as semi-dry. These are just better wetsuits.

Given the features and limited market a true semi-dry sill have a cost on the order of an entry level drysuit. If you don't want to dive dry for some reason they are a good alternative but for the money nearly all dives leapfrog over the semi-dry.

Pete

I currently use a 10 year old Mares 5mm semi-dry with a double back zipper, very warm and slightly damp on the inside when I take it off. I usually wear a hooded vest with it.

Planning to buy a Henderson 6/7mm semi dry with a front across the chest zipper in order to make exit /entry from it more self sufficient.

so what are best brands?
as i said before i use a 7 mm fj
if i use a semi dry full suit will i use same amount of weight or less?:confused:

I have a collection of pretty all possible combination (SD, D/S, FJ+Jacket, Jumpsuit).

The SD is not really all that much warmer than the FJ+Jacket, but it is less buoyant and more flexible. It is just plainly, the most comfy suit for cool water. The 2 downsides are
- If I pee myself, it stinks since the piss does not get rinsed out as much as a w/s.
- My SD is on made of super stretchy neoprene. On deep dives (100+) is compresses more than the FJ+Jacket (made of stiffer neoprene) and losses a lot of its warmth. Not all SD are made of stretchy neoprene, but mine i.

so what your saying is the semidry is a whole lot better than a farmer jhon?
:confused:

For sure

And the best make is the one that fits you

So far for me both Body Glove and Mares have worked well with 3mm and Mares with 5mm semi dry.

If the Henderson fits well I will buy it, if it doesn't then I won't, simple as that

For the price of a good SD I would get a good intry level Dry suite. you can also find a good used dry suite for a great deal . I got a Mobby's twin shell dry suite w/ pee valve and new neck/wrist seals for $450.00. And I was able to dive it before I purchased it . I got it from a Scuba Board member . check out the SB CLASSIFIED ADDS . Go dry you will not regrett it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom