What you dislike most....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Carcharodon:
Obviously you are referring to the legion of incompetents who went through a four hour class and are now the “experts” at a number of my local dive shops. No thank you, I’ll work on my own gear, at least it gets done right.

Go ahead and work on your own gear, but if that means you void your warranty... don't go crying to the equipment manufacturer that you want warranty service... If you are doing business with an incompetent dive shop. Perhaps you should

a) find a new dive shop
2) Tell the equipment manufacturer that the dive shop is doing a dis-service to them and that their techs are doing a poor job.

I don't really care what you call them ... if they can supply me with a high-quality product and provide the services I need at a price I want to pay, then they're the people I should be doing business with.

The reality is that most scuba equipment "manufacturers" today are little more than a distributor of OEM products ... for many of their products, that includes ScubaPro.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok... There is a difference between

Manufactured for X company by license agreement, and OEM. ODS makes regulators that anyone can buy if you meet the minimum order, and put any name on it. Scubapro doesn't go to ODS to buy OEM product, like some "manufacturers" do.

Also some manufacturers make everything they sell.

Like I said. It's a free marketplace, and you can do business with whomever you choose, and repair your own gear, and call everyone else an incompetent boob. But just like any marketplace, its the consumers responsibility to know what they're buying before they buy it.

Go ahead and work on your own gear, but if that means you void your warranty... don't go crying to the equipment manufacturer that you want warranty service...
In fact, I already stated that voiding a warranty is a perfectly legitimate thing for a manufacturer to do should someone opt to work on their own gear.

If you are doing business with an incompetent dive shop. Perhaps you should

a) find a new dive shop
2) Tell the equipment manufacturer that the dive shop is doing a dis-service to them and that their techs are doing a poor job.
... or simply do the work yourself.

Ok... There is a difference between

Manufactured for X company by license agreement, and OEM. ODS makes regulators that anyone can buy if you meet the minimum order, and put any name on it. Scubapro doesn't go to ODS to buy OEM product, like some "manufacturers" do.

Also some manufacturers make everything they sell.

Like I said. It's a free marketplace, and you can do business with whomever you choose, and repair your own gear, and call everyone else an incompetent boob. But just like any marketplace, its the consumers responsibility to know what they're buying before they buy it.
I never called everyone else an incompetent boob ... but, in fact, there are plenty of incompetent people working in the dive industry ... just as there are in other industries.

As mentioned earlier ... if it's the consumer's responsibility to know what they're buying before they buy it, then it's the scuba instructor's responsibility to train their clients sufficiently to make informed purchasing decisions. Do you see that happening in today's business model? For the most part, I don't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As mentioned earlier ... if it's the consumer's responsibility to know what they're buying before they buy it, then it's the scuba instructor's responsibility to train their clients sufficiently to make informed purchasing decisions. Do you see that happening in today's business model? For the most part, I don't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why does the onus fall on the instructor?

Are people not able to be educated consumers on their own? I am asking - not telling. I really don't understand why people can't take responsibility for themselves.

Why does the onus fall on the instructor?

Are people not able to be educated consumers on their own? I am asking - not telling. I really don't understand why people can't take responsibility for themselves.

... and so if the onus isn't on the instructor, how else does the consumer become educated?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... and so if the onus isn't on the instructor, how else does the consumer become educated?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Internet?

I think most of us like to believe that we've made the only possible logical [-]good[/-] choices, and we'll defend those choices at all costs!
I fixed it for you, Bob. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I understand what you are trying to say, really I do. There is some remorse expressed, but quite often we are continually hit over the head with nothing but ego, ad nausea. We even make fun of it with comments like "thou wilt surely die", but this underlies a basic truth: people often couch their opinions as a matter of life and breath. You disagree with them at your peril. In the words of Sgt Hulka:

Lighten up, Francis!

Reactions: Jax
I'm the man in the magazine, unfortunately my title usually is - BEFORE

:rofl3:

Let's all try harder to be someone's big toe.

Back
Top Bottom