What you dislike most....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) I don't make threads go away.
Well, I'm getting a serious "attack mode" vibe from the way you're choosing your arguments ... perhaps you don't make the thread go away, but I'm damn sure you've made a few folks decide it's not worth participating.

Making an argument's one thing. Choosing strong assertions against those who you disagree with just creates train wrecks.

Is this really what you want ScubaBoard to be all about?

2) I'm serious. This is apparently the consensus of the thread so far. The problem is that regular folks can't buy parts direct from manufacturers.

Aside from this. What are the real problems with the industry? I think the focus of this thread has been the discussion of being able to repair my own brakes vs scuba regs. I would surmise that this is far from the OP's original topic. Maybe the discussion should move toward some possible real problems with the dive industry?
I don't think that was the focus at all, until you took a sidebar comment and turned it into the main event.

Go look at my original post in this thread ... and notice how many "likes" it's received. I think THAT is the focus of the thread. Your decision to turn mine and Jim's comments about regulator service into an argument, and to come back with strong language and assertions about things we never said made, I think, a lot of people decide to just check out of the conversation.

I really don't understand why you can't state your position without making others feel attacked ... and I certainly do. If I thought less of you, I'd be attacking back by now.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
a two year experation date on c basic openwater c cards unless the diver has advanced training or logs 25 or more dives and certfied dives only count if signed by dm or above this I believe we would support the lds and improve the quality of the rec diver

Well, I'm getting a serious "attack mode" vibe from the way you're choosing your arguments ... perhaps you don't make the thread go away, but I'm damn sure you've made a few folks decide it's not worth participating.

Making an argument's one thing. Choosing strong assertions against those who you disagree with just begs an argument.

Is this really what you want ScubaBoard to be all about?

I don't think that was the focus at all, until you took a sidebar comment and turned it into the main event.

Go look at my original post in this thread ... and notice how many "likes" it's received. I think THAT is the focus of the thread. Your decision to turn mine and Jim's comments about regulator service into an argument, and to come back with strong language and assertions about things we never said made, I think, a lot of people decide to just check out of the conversation.

I really don't understand why you can't state your position without making others feel attacked ... and I certainly do. If I thought less of you, I'd be attacking back by now.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob. I meant no disrespect to you.

Bob,

I would suggest that Howie is rather passionated about this. While I don't fully agree with his arguments, I know the problems he has encountered dealing with many Scuba Manufacturers and Agencies. THEY don't always see ScubaBoard as a fair or balanced site. Why would they think this?

a two year experation date on c basic openwater c cards unless the diver has advanced training or logs 25 or more dives and certfied dives only count if signed by dm or above this I believe we would support the lds and improve the quality of the rec diver

Oh, no! :shocked2: Now we need SCUBA police? What if the diver lives within view of his favorite dive site and dives 5 days a week. No DM, No Instructor...doesn't count?
:no: I don't think so.

I have been with my LDS since I was 13 years old. I am now 29 and still take lessons and purchase equipment from them. I have done business who other dive shops, but Columbia Scuba in Maryland had exceeded my expectations every time. The prices are fair, service is excellent, and training is thorough. If I had to say what I don't like about scuba diving, it would have to be sea sickness when diving off of North Carolina with my other favorite dive shop, Outer Banks Diving.

Bob,

I would suggest that Howie is rather passionated about this. While I don't fully agree with his arguments, I know the problems he has encountered dealing with many Scuba Manufacturers and Agencies. THEY don't always see ScubaBoard as a fair or balanced site. Why would they think this?

Maybe if THEY decided to listen to their customers, there'd be more balance.

At all levels of diving, I chose my initial equipment based on recommendations of the gear I would need for the type of diving I am planning to do. Subsequent purchases will be based on my perception of the relationship I have with the vendors I'm purchasing my equipment from.

There are many choices out there ... some equipment vendors and manufacturers do a better job of listening to their customers than others. Those are the ones I will choose to continue my relationships with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Outside of class, nobody dives with DM's where I live. People get together with their friends and go diving. The diving here is convenient and plentiful, and finding divers who do more than 100 dives per year is common.

Who would sign off on these people's dives?

Your model might work OK for people on vacation, who dive in groups led by DM's ... but it wouldn't work for a lot of the rest of the world ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dislike LDS that have all of their items cramped into tiny spots.

I know they are spending time diving, not selling, but for some reason, I just feel more comfortable in an organized shop.

Oh and shops that don't have proper dressing rooms. It's hard to try on a wetsuit in a tiny staff bathroom. (ew to putting bare feet on the floor!)

The other thing that suprised me was a discussion about the way the DM's should look. Diving (unless you are in the Navy or Coast Guard) doesn't need a uniform. We are all here because we love to dive! And when we do, we are all looking like crazy people anyway--mask ring, snotty noses, crazy hair, funky mouth positions, and even looking like pack mules shuffling to the entry point.

I hope my answer has put the OP on track.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom