What would you say is the most important to buy new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Answer to 1st question is Yes.....Last BC(for my wife) & last 2 regulators were bought used----HERE @ SB......All 3 have worked perfectly......

With all the caveats that have been said already I don't think there is anything that cannot be bought second hand if you know what you are looking at. If I was starting out again, was on a limited budget and knew what I know now I think I would be happy to buy anything second hand but would try to buy regulators new, and bcd new if I could.

Wetsuits and masks, even booties can be easily disinfected and cleaned as long as they are in good condition, but something I was going to put in my mouth, and something I was relying on for buoyancy I would want to be certain were hygienic, in good condition, and working properly which buying new would give me reassurance over.

Incidentally I have bought both new and used gear, and have to say I have only ever been disappointed with some items of new gear :D

Dive safe - Phil.

I can't think of anything in scuba that I would not buy used (from ebay). For the most part, the savings potential in used gear is a minimum of 50% and may be on the order of 90% if you shop smart. But you need to be able to assess the condition of gear and the expected costs to put it in usable condition. That may be very difficult for newer divers (and those with little gear knowledge) without some help. Sure, there are masks and faces that just don't go together and wetsuits do need to fit. but it usually is not that difficult. Hit your local dive sites and see if folks will let you try on some gear. On ebay, many seller will accept returns if you do get something that just will not fit. If you or a trusted friend is not capable of inspecting, troubleshooting, and repairing used gear, it may be a problem that can eat much or even all of the savings potential.

I am in the process of setting up 4 of my friends with regulators. I expect to have them diving those regs for under $200 each.

I buy everything used (Craig's List) except Boots and gloves. The trick is knowing what you want and hunting for it instead of shopping. For example, I wanted a Deep Sea Supply BP/W, it took a while but I got it off Craig's List for a song.

Let me give you a different way of looking at used....we all, every single one of us dive used gear on almost every single dive....the only question is who dove it last. There is nothing wrong with good used gear as long as it's in good repair and properly serviced. When buying used, the main thing is to understand what you are buying. Stick to any of the major brands you can find being sold in major dive shops. While there are a lot of good brands, Aqualung and Scubapro are almost always good choices, they have a good (and deserved) reputation for supporting their regulators for many years.

I bought everything used 9 years ago and replaced the hood. Actually I bought the boots new and recently had to replace them (one heel went kaput). I would agree that if you but wisely everything is OK used. Perhaps you may consider a new reg as it's the thing that delivers air to you. My used one is still good, though overhauls can be a bit pricey. Not a speck of sand ever enters the 2nd stage -- to my knowledge-- anymore...

Remember though, anything that you buy used will eventually, if not annually, need servicing, check up or repair. So make sure your local LDS is equipped or able to service that brand. JMO

If you're going to buy used and don't know what to look for, you might want to consider that often times LDS will sell their used/rental gear for really cheap prices, but some of it can be really beat up. If you're buying a used rental item such as a reg setup, make sure they do a full overhaul on it before they sell it to you.

Back
Top Bottom