What would you say is the most important to buy new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can scuba gear be safely purchased used? Makes me nervous, but hubby thinks it should be ok. If you had a limited budget to buy new scuba gear, what would you say should be the first and foremost to buy new? What items would you have no prob at all buying off of Craigslist or Ebay?

There is no hard and fast rule to do or don't buy a certain piece of equipment, only personal choices.

Buy used anything you don't need to see and try on, try out different versions or brands to make a decision.

If you know you want a XYZ scuba pro model XXX, then simply find one used and buy it.

If you know you want a mask, but don't know which one, then it's certainly a lot easier to go buy one new, where you can go somewhere that has 50 different ones and see them and handle them to pick the one you want.

Of course you can be like so many other unethical people and treat your local dive store like a whore and use them to figure out what you want and then go buy it used somewhere or online.

Other than that it comes down to how much do you know about gear that you can judge if something is mint, hardly used, or abused and in need of repairs? The more familiar and confident you are with gear the more you can buy it used at a bargain because you know how to judge it. If you have no idea how to judge somethings condition then you're just better off buying it new.

Of course you can be like so many other unethical people and treat your local dive store like a whore and use them to figure out what you want and then go buy it used somewhere or online.

Don't whores get paid?

I would suggest that anything that has to fit needs to be tried on, new or used. That includes BCD, wet suit, mask and maybe fins. They can be new or used, but try on before use and my rue is only by used if there is a credible history provided as to age and "mileage" or number of dives. I would only buy used items if there is a good history and service record, especially a computer, 1st and second stages, and tanks and tank valves ( Include inspection history on all tanks ) I buy very little on line other than accessories like lights, spg's reels, etc. I will by used from the owner if there is a good history, I have their name and address and contact information, and I know them or know somebody who knows them. Bottom line: when I spend thousands of dollars to travel to a dive destination, or if I am teaching people in a local reservoir, I want to KNOW all the equipment I am using is in good repair and has been properly maintained. If that mean spending a bit more, then I will spend a bit more.
DivemasterDennis

Many people get certified and buy equipment thinking they will stick with diving, but then find they don't have the time or get "bored" (really?) so there is often very good, hardly used equipment for sale. Just check it out thoroughly.

I buy almost all my equipment used (since some of the stuff I prefer to dive with isn't made any more). The one thing I rarely buy used is a wetsuit!

Buying used can save you a lot of money. That said, here are some ideas about doing it:

1. You need to know something about what you are buying. There is a lot of dive gear offered used, and as Diver0001 has already observed, some of it is worn out or old enough that it can no longer be serviced. Your incredible buy on a set of Dacor regulators won't seem so good when you find out the company is out of business and the regulators can't be repaired. The tanks that were so cheap aren't a buy if you can't get them filled. The wetsuit somebody was selling for next to nothing won't be a buy if it's been through so many compression cycles that it doesn't insulate well any more. Shopping for used dive gear without any background data on brands, types, and possible issues can be a minefield.

2. You need to be able to evaluate fit properly. Some things HAVE to fit to work properly -- masks and wetsuits are among them. You need to be able to evaluate the fit of a mask correctly (and some shop employees can't do this properly!). You have to know that a properly fitted wetsuit probably won't be very comfortable to have on when you and it are dry, but if you try to buy comfortable on land, you will likely diminish the insulating capacity by not getting a close enough fit.

It's also true that buying things that have to fit either on line or via something like Craig's list, can involve a lot of frustration, because you will be dealing with one item at a time. Going to a large dive shop, for example, will allow you to try on a bunch of masks in a short time, and let you try several brands of wetsuit to see whose cut works for your body. This beats either driving to somebody's house to try stuff on, or buying on line and returning stuff over and over again, which can quickly chew up a lot of the savings you were hoping for.

3. Include service costs in your estimation of savings. Dive gear, in general, isn't horribly complicated. But it involves a number of moving parts and a plethora of Or-rings, and all of those things wear out. When you buy BCs or regulators used, unless you are a good gear tech yourself, you really should, for safety's sake, have those things serviced before you dive them. This can add a considerable amount to the cost -- our local shop will run about $125 for service on a full regulator set.

Some items are generally good buys used. Fins, for example, can be quite inexpensive and the things that would make them a bad purchase are generally easily seen, like cracking. Computers can be good buys used, again assuming you know what you are buying. And in contrast to some of the advice above, I think suits can be a very good buy used, if you know what fits you. Dry suits often go for peanuts used, and even if you have to pay to put in a whole set of seals, you're ahead of the game. Sometimes even if you have to replace the zipper, you're still okay! (I've seen lightly used DUI suits go for under $500.). Lights are often good buys used, particularly if someone is getting out of the sport, or there has been a technology change. I picked up several HID lights for ridiculous prices, when people started upgrading to LED.

I would even go so far as to say that people who are regular, experienced divers rarely buy anything brand new (except maybe dry suits). But there's a whole lot of background data and often a lot of acquired DIY skills that go into getting to that place. If you are going to buy used, try to get the assistance of someone who's been at this a good while, to make sure you don't buy stuff you will bitterly regret purchasing.

Of course, that can happen when buying brand new from the dive store, too . . . Review the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. It's very long and not all of it is even on topic, but there's a LOT of good information there, if you look at the themes.

We bought most of our stuff new from the LDS. A few things (back-up) we purchased from someone we knew. I would never purchase a used mask or wetsuit. Fit of a mask is too important and wetsuits get old quickly. Rent BC and reg if you are just starting out to make sure you are going to stick with diving and to determine what you want. I'd be leery of ebay or Craigslist unless you have a very experienced friend who repairs his/her own equipment. We also think it's important to support our LDS -- really nice when our daughter started to work there and we got the employee discount.

While some things may be better bets than others, almost any individual item could be good or bad to buy used. It takes some experience and knowledge to know the difference. Educate yourself about gear with lots of looking and reading (in places like message boards, not magazine reviews which aren't worth much.)

When you're new you can try and find someone to help, and also ask about specific items someplace like here. Even doing that has pitfalls though. Many people have strong biases that aren't right for everyone on what sort of gear is good, and it takes some knowledge and experience to recognize that too.

That said, I think fins are often a good thing to buy used. Simple fins especially are pretty bulletproof, and fairly easy to judge the condition of. Straps can easily be replaced. Your risk can be low - it's not that hard to buy fins for $20 on eBay that are as good or better than the latest fancy $200 fins. Still works best if you somehow already know they will fit, or can try them on (with your booties if you're using them.) I've even gotten a variety of pretty good fins on freecycle.

Regulators can be a great thing to buy used for knowledgeable people, especially if they service them themselves. (Most people don't.) Sometimes they do this not only to get a deal, but to get certain regs they like that aren't even made anymore. Otherwise it's often hard to get a good deal - even if it appears to be a decent price, you're almost always going to want to get them serviced before you use them, which will frequently eat up a lot of the savings. You might find you're better off with a new and moderately priced midrange reg.

BCs can be a good buy, especially from people who are selling them cheap and almost new simply because they decided they didn't like diving, or don't like what they bought. Not so much when they left them in their garage for years and think they should be able to get almost full price for them because "they hardly used them." (Do watch out for weight integrated BCs where the weight pockets are held in (or not) only by velcro - not so reliable and I don't think current models are designed like that anymore. Though if you score something like that cheap you could always just use a weight belt instead.)

Some dive shops regularly turn over their rental gear and will sell serviced used gear, perhaps even with a bit of a warranty. If you have a good shop that does that its another route that is worth considering. Probably not as cheap as a great find on Craigslist, but lower risk.

guess I'm going to buck the trend and say used wetsuits aren't that bad. I picked up my 7mm from someone who bought it for OW but decided they didn't want to dive cold water. Masks seem to be hard to buy used because of fit (and they aren't terribly expensive either).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom