What would you say is the most important to buy new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy used too, except for electronics (lights/computers). My LDS buys used equipment from people who either can't dive any more or gave it up for whatever reason and sells it at a good price inspected and serviced. I bought most of my tech stuff through them. Another LDS I go to is a gold mine for vintage gear, which I like too. Research the gear you are interested in, here on SB and other sources, before you buy used and know your prices.

One of my instructors warned me that some technical divers over-pressurize their tanks routinely and then sell them on ebay before they will fail their next hyrdrostatic test. I haven't encountered that myself, though, so I can't be sure if that's just legend or if such unethical cavemen do in fact exist.

One of my instructors warned me that some technical divers over-pressurize their tanks routinely and then sell them on ebay before they will fail their next hyrdrostatic test. I haven't encountered that myself, though, so I can't be sure if that's just legend or if such unethical cavemen do in fact exist.

It's not only cavemen.

The practice is actually more common than you might think. I'm not convinced, however, that the tanks are destroyed by it. Tanks are pretty over-engineered.

R..

My HP 100's routinely get 4000 PSI fills....which is 558 PSI more than they should get......but I'm not selling them and I doubt it hurts them at all....
I know for a fact there are people who fill way past 558 PSI over the tanks rated pressure....and AFAIK, none of those tanks ever fail a hydro

False.

I've got a set of 104s from 1980-somethin that are and have been routinely filled to 3600 (service pressure is 2640). Total myth.

Almost anything can be bought used if you know what you're looking at.

I would say its more legend than truth. First, it's pretty difficult to know when a tank is going to fail hydro. Second, as Diver0001 pointed out, tanks are heavily over engineered. And third, consider the pressures used to hydro a tank. Typically, they use pressures of 150%-166% over the rated pressure. So, for a 3,000psi tank, they develop pressures of 5,000-4,500 psi. In crosshairs case, with HP100's, they'd pressurize to 5,740-5,160 psi; still far higher than he pumps his tank. And lastly, at the pressures that would make a tank fail hydro, the diver would probably be damaging his regulator.

The main danger of used tanks is not barbarian cavemen overfilling it, but careless divers not maintaining their tank, and allowing corrosion or damage to occur to it.

Finally, there is no regulatory requirement for a diver to have hydrostatic testing done. But good luck finding a shop that'll fill them. And if they do cut corners like that, where else are they cheating? Compressor Maintenance? Do you really want to breathe their air?

Last edited:
As a newbie I am wondering, which piece of equipment should be your first: regulator, dive computer, BCD? Assuming you have mask, fins and wetsuit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom