What would you do: Molested at 100' by an OOA Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not to worried about a panicked diver grabbing me in a bear hug ... first of all, they'd have to have arms like a gibbon just to get them around me. Secondly, if they need air, they're welcome to some of mine. If I can't take care of myself while assisting another diver at depth, I have only myself to blame ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob .. I'm tempted - that photo of you with a monkey :)

The new caption would be:

Monkey: Heh Bob I'm really a funky gibbon despite appearances

Bob: Heh I'm cool with that

Is there an agency that endorses 100' CESAs? I would think that the instructor is breaking standards by doing this.

OK, now I want to do one...

Is there an agency that endorses 100' CESAs? I would think that the instructor is breaking standards by doing this.

Sure, lots of them. This isn't a breach of Standards. NAUI, ACUC and CMAS (to name a few) establish "minimum depths for emergency ascents" not maximums. To say that a diver is competent to dive to 60 feet (for example) and not teach them how to get to the surface in an emergency, is (in my view) a breach of ethics.

Similarly, if a diver is certified to dive deeper, why would the Instructor not provide the Student with the reasonable skill-sets to survive? Isn't that just common sense?

It sounds like you have this practice down. I would love to see a video of you doing this 4 minute, continuous exhale ascent from 100 feet.

Do you think you could (for our benefit) just remove the regulator and film the entire ascent showing you blowing bubbles for 4 minutes from 100 feet to zero feet?

I am absolutely sure that there are MANY people who can do this, but I would love to see YOU do it.. PLEASE?

I don't know where this 4 minute ascent time came from......If you are out of air at 100 feet, you are not going to do a slow ascent....when I was practicing these, I never timed the ascent duration, but I am reasonably sure it took less than a minute to reach the surface....and most divers today would have their BC buoyantly assisting by the time they had gone upward about 15 feet--at some point, ascent speed would be very fast.... 4 minutes is a ridiculous quote for the whole topic.

The only point really is that S-Drills (and also typical recreational OOA drills) train divers to react to an actual OOA signal with something approaching non-reaction (checking the OOA divers gauges, asking the OOA diver if they are OK, giving an expression of surprise followed by no reaction, etc.)

I do see this, and I know from other discussions in other places, that at least some instructors have done exactly those things themselves when confronted with a diver signalling OOA. I know I have yet to get a DM candidate to react correctly when given an OOA signal, and outside of a class.

The equating comes from the fact that neither group (neither S-Drill people, nor recreationally trained people) have, on the whole, developed appropriate reaction to getting an OOA signal. Doing S-Drills is not resulting in better reactions, thus they are equated.

Painting with a very wide brush and all that you stated does not happen with the divers I dive with. We practice a S-drill prior to every dive. It gives but the donator as well as the receiver a very good feeling that the long hose is not trapped. (Seen that way too many times and a reason that I really do not care to place a tank on the right side). Also, it is well known in fun dives, anyone at anytime can give an OOA signal. The signal is never questioned!!! It holds the same value as the "thumbs up" moreso in the caves!!! Nobody will ever question it. Exit means exit and OOA means OOA. No checking guages, returning a signal, no pussyfooting around. You give them the reg. and you exit the cave or head to the surface unless it is a drill and we might just swim around like that for a few minutes..

I don't know where this 4 minute ascent time came from......If you are out of air at 100 feet, you are not going to do a slow ascent....when I was practicing these, I never timed the ascent duration, but I am reasonably sure it took less than a minute to reach the surface....and most divers today would have their BC buoyantly assisting by the time they had gone upward about 15 feet--at some point, ascent speed would be very fast.... 4 minutes is a ridiculous quote for the whole topic.

He has repeatedly made this claim and that this is the way he practices.. You and I know a one-minute ascent is like jogging a 12 minute mile and a 4 minute exhale while swimming is like a 4 minute mile. There are people who can do either one, I want him to show that he is not in need of Beano.

He has repeatedly made this claim and that this is the way he practices.. You and I know a one-minute ascent is like jogging a 12 minute mile and a 4 minute exhale while swimming is like a 4 minute mile. There are people who can do either one, I want him to show that he is not in need of Beano.

Not that it matters to the content of the conversation, but Beano is a her ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not that it matters to the content of the conversation, but Beano is a her ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That explains everything! Women don't have to breath under water! I've seen this as fact. :)

I have always said I wouldn't risk my life for another diver unless I liked them enough to kiss them on the lips. If I had enough air for both of us, I would try to calm the diver and we would go up…hoping s/he wouldn't suck the tank dry. If it was me or the other diver, I would have to rip off their mask and swim away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom