What would you do: Molested at 100' by an OOA Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't totally agree with you on this one Dan. You can do everything right and find yourself in the position of having to do a CESA. On one occasion, I was diving solo and rendered assistance to an OOA diver. A few seconds later, his buddy went OOA (both Instructors). As I found one of the divers immovable due to narcosis, I decided to do a CESA to the safety diver (approx. 130' above me) rather than sit around and go OOA. Before I started my ascent, helped arrived. Perhaps I was a Moron for trying to assist the other Divers, but after I initially shared gas with the first diver, things went down hill fast. I don't know what else I could have done...

I agree with Winston Churchill that we should "Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning." We try to take 'reasonable precautions,' but it seems that "stercus accidit." Sometimes we just have to deal with it to the best of our abilities. For me, that's the reason for practicing CESA. Now back to our regular scheduled programing.... :)

DC,
I am doubting you really had to do this as a CESA.....you saw two divers involved in a CF and OOA.

None of us doing a solo dive, or buddy dive, will "plan on" donating 2 regs at the same time to 2 narced and OOA divers.

Now, given that with a buoyant ascent, you would not really feel the need to breathe in very much, or at all, from a fast 220 to 130 ascent....perhaps this was no big deal for you....for others, if in this "unique" accident scenario, they came across this 2 diver OOA CF....other options available would be to :
  • donate both your regs, and begin using your inflator to breathe from....until you got to the safety diver....
  • begin the free ascent without a reg as you did, knowing that if you wanted air you could get it from your inflator hose ( would be my plan, probably was yours)
  • some would decide that this is too dangerous a scenario to help 2 divers with....for many it would be. One is taken up, the other gets his BC inflated and sent up to either become mostly dead or all dead....

None of us doing a solo dive, or buddy dive, will "plan on" donating 2 regs at the same time to 2 narced and OOA divers.

I could though. :) 2nd from the 40 to one, long hose to the other and bungee for myself. But the thought of being in the middle of that threesome CF concerns me greatly.

Because you might from your info box be a cold water diver, it might come as a surprise to you that basically every first dive on a two tank boat dive in the tropics is a 100+ foot dive, regardless of the divers certification. What this means is that often enough divers who cannot handle their buoyancy are rocketing to the surface from some significant depths. "Pressed the wrong button", or "He knocked my mask off, so I hit the up button" "My ears hurt so I hit the up button" are not really that uncommon to hear.*

Where do you currently work? By that I mean, what is the dive op's name and where is it located?

I don't really much care about the topics in this thread but I am curious as to where a lot of the situations you run into occur (dives of 100ft+ on the first tank, minimal site specific briefings, divers having to manage wildly variable conditions that cause SAC rates to be as much as 5x their normal, etc.).

DC, I am doubting you really had to do this as a CESA.....you saw two divers involved in a CF and OOA. None of us doing a solo dive, or buddy dive, will "plan on" donating 2 regs at the same time to 2 narced and OOA divers.

I guess my point is that when this all started, I had one diver asking for gas. I gave it to him. He was hyperventilating (I had completed a 220' dive and was ascending. At this point I was at 180'). So everything is swell, one diver and me, except when I tried to move him, he just froze and continued hyperventilating... Then his Buddy (who was obviously narced) came to me and indicated he was OOA. So what started-out as a simple share-air became a slippery slope. I decided to abort and swim for the safety diver and the extra bottles that were tied-off.

It wasn't my initial desire to help two divers (I'm not that brave on air at that depth). I might add that this was in the late 70's on the Mari Bahn (Bonaire). What I've learned... I don't dive Deep-Air with anyone who I don't know. The two Instructors involved were from NY and were the guests of my host. We had agreed earlier to do the dive alone, but things change...

Wayne -- your comment
So what started-out as a simple share-air became a slippery slope. I decided to abort and swim for the safety diver and the extra bottles that were tied-off.
intrigues me for I'm uncertain as to what happened here.

Did you provide the other two with your 2nd stages and swim to the safety diver yourself hauling the other two with you? Or did you ditch your gear, leaving it with them and swim up? Or???? Color me confused as to what happened but intrigued.

Wayne -- your comment intrigues me for I'm uncertain as to what happened here.

Did you provide the other two with your 2nd stages and swim to the safety diver yourself hauling the other two with you? Or did you ditch your gear, leaving it with them and swim up? Or???? Color me confused as to what happened but intrigued.

I think I remember reading a recount of this event as well. What ended up happening to the two instructors that were OOA? Scary stuff.

Wow, just wow, this thread is unbelievable. This is going to be a long one, sorry about that.

Not the mention the 4 minutes exalation and/or the from 100+ depth CESA and the fairly regular amount of OOA / emergency situation beanojones seems to find herself confronted to regularly. Not with her own divers though...
During the read of the all thread, I laughted a bit (some people have great reparty on this forum), got surprised and serioulsly concerned.

1. Many (and in my case all) deep dives have a hang tank and reg at the safety stop, so that is as far as one needs to get.
That might be what you have experienced, but I have to say that, having dived and / or worked in France, New Zealand, Egypt, Thailand, Djibouti, Malaysia and Maldives, I NEVER had a hang tank and reg present at the safety stop.
So, IME, this is not the norm.

basically every first dive on a two tank boat dive in the tropics is a 100+ foot dive, regardless of the divers certification. What this means is that often enough divers who cannot handle their buoyancy are rocketing to the surface from some significant depths. "Pressed the wrong button", or "He knocked my mask off, so I hit the up button" "My ears hurt so I hit the up button" are not really that uncommon to hear.*
When I unfortunately have to agree on some of this, I also think that as dive professionals, we don't have to accept this as a fact that can not be changed. In the Maldives, the orientation dive is there for that, and I think it limits the potential of problems like that.
When you say "regardless of their certification", I assume you mean also regardless of their experience. And bim, they run out of air at 30m deep. How surprising.

*Not to mention the "Can you dive down and free the anchor?" or Can you dive down and grab that Camera/weight Belt/GoPro" Dive computer etc. The reason so many of us learn to free dive to significant depths is because we have to and we don't have time to change tanks or put on our gear, not because we necessarily want to do a bunch of rapid ascents after nitrogen loading.
If you have that little consideration for your own safety...

Beano,
Your can do attitude is commendable, however it's reckless. Not reckless to other divers, but to yourself. I just pray I don't see your name in the A&I forum. If I do, tell your family not to take offense when my 4 word post says " I saw that coming".
With what I've red here, assuming it's true, I wouldn't be surprised either.

As a full time guide/instructor, I don't considere it "my job" to put my life at risks. I considere it my job to prevent problems with certified divers, and to teach as well as I can my students; I will always insist at the end of a course, no matter how good they were, they still have very very little experience even if certified and should be fully aware of that. What they do with what I taught them is up to them, not up to me...
And eventually comes this part of the industry where people go diving like this: "follow me, I'll handle everything." Great.
If I see a problem underwater, of course I will help as much as I can. But put my life at risks, no, sorry, this is not my job.

But, even if air usage from a given diver was not wildly variable, depths and conditions are completely varied for many recreational dives. We jump in daily and do a current check, because we have to, and that is mostly which direction the current is running. Once the current direction in known, then we plan our dive direction, but as to depth and how much current we are fighting, that is all once we are in the water. So workload and depth are completely unknown. The only fixed variable is the size of our tank.

And then add the fact that currents switch direction underwater, and for some dives we can drift, and others we cannot drift and sometimes we do not know if it is a drift or not, until we are well into the dive and the boat takes off.

Go ahead, tell me how gas planning would help these dives.
I never dived in Hawaii, so it's true I don't know the conditions over there. But I dive for long enough in the Maldives, which is not a destination not known for it's potential strong currents, changing direction/washing machine or going in the opposite direction when you got deeper, drift diving only.
We still are planning our depth though. Knowing that, we can plan our dives accordingly.
Not saying to my divers at what maximum depth they can go sound very very strange to me.

Sorry again for the long post, I don't participate much but read a lot, but sometimes too much nonsense is too much.

I can't see BJ recommending CESA's from 100' as a common practice as it passes through 4 atm's.

(100' = 30m = 4ATA) - (0'/0m = 1 ATA) = 3 ATM not 4

I might add that this was in the late 70's on the Mari Bahn (Bonaire)....

We did that dive several years ago. There were three of us and one guy had done it a couple times before and knew about where to swim on the surface to look for the broken mast that points the way to the wreck. Once you find it you find the wreck.

(100' = 30m = 4ATA) - (0'/0m = 1 ATA) = 3 ATM not 4

Well, at least someone is paying attention :)
That's correct. I should have said passing through 3 atms into a fourth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom