What would you do if you saw someone diving a tank marked "For paintball use only"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thought, going off the other thread, is how could a non-certified diver get fills. My LDS fills paintball tanks with the same air they fill dive tanks with, but requires the sticker.

In the scenario I am thinking of they are competent but not certified, but the only indication of this is the sticker.

If we're being purely hypothetical, it is not outside the realm of possibility for a person (with a lot of disposable income) to have a fill station at home....Or a person (without a lot of disposable income; who is into paintball) to have a jerry-rigged compressor at home, with a cheap & slow booster.

I would say something. Only because I'd never live it down if the person's lifeless body ended up making an appearance because they were an uneducated person wishing to experience the sport but didn't have the training to do so. Worst case scenario - you offend someone....best case scenario - you save a life. I'll take my chances with that one.

I had a similar experience just yesterday. I was setting up my gear on a boat and noticed that the guy next to me had two tanks labeled as having 35% nitrox. We were doing a deepish wreck, and I said something like "Are you planning to dive this wreck with 35%?" He calmly said he was, and he would be staying above the top deck, which is about 115 feet. He seemed to know what he was doing, and as he geared up, I saw he was using sophisticated equipment, so I didn't say anything else. He had clearly decided that the 1.6 standard for MOD was fine with him, and that was his choice.

if you hooked up a paintball gun directly to an HP100 or something, would you essentially have a Gatling gun? Paintball bazooka? How bad would a paintball the size of a softball hurt?

if you hooked up a paintball gun directly to an HP100 or something, would you essentially have a Gatling gun? Paintball bazooka? How bad would a paintball the size of a softball hurt?
Most paintball tanks are 4500 PSI. I'm not sure what pressure the regulator in the gun puts out.

Most paintball tanks are 4500 PSI. I'm not sure what pressure the regulator in the gun puts out.
i hope its not 4500 psi. that would hurt.

If they were chatty, I would probably bring it up in the conversation. Otherwise, I would assume they just bought the tank with it already on, or were not certified and used it as a dodge to get fills without a card, neither of which is my business.

i hope its not 4500 psi. that would hurt.

Generally carbon tank are 4500psi and ali are 3,000psi.

There is a built is regulator on the tank that drops it down to around 500-800psi (depending on the brand and type or reg) and that is what feeds into the paintball gun. Then on the paintball gun its self there is another regulator that drop the pressure down to the actual operating pressure of the paintball gun. All paintball guns have different operating pressures. Most of your higher end paintball guns operate at a fairly low pressure around 100psi. This pressure is adjustable via the regulator on the gun (very much similar to adjusting the IP on a scuba first stage) and is what controls the velocity of the paintballs. Most paintball facilities and competitions use a chrono to check your paintball guns speed, must be under 300fps.

1710193074260.png

I'd mind my own business, as there would be no winner in that conversation.

Back
Top Bottom