• Cheaper certification classes for the type of diving I want to do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A better vehicle to haul my gear to and from

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A dive boat

Votes: 19 12.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly speaking there are several factors that prevent me from diving as much as I want to.
#1 I have been to my usual spot about 80-100 times now and while reef is extensive I probably covered most of it by now.
#2 It takes a 4 hour drive to get there and a 4 hour drive to get back.
#3 Hotels are expensive and so is gas and while we are on topic of money... so is dive trip itself. 1 dive trip ( 2 tanks) to Boynton Beach costs me $100 in gas, $32 in nitrox, $100 for dive journey itself and that is without stopping for food, paying for hotel etc.. which always adds another $150. By comparison mountain biking is free every time I go riding on weekends.

If there was a cheaper way to go diving... lets say $50 for everything... I would be diving every single weekend guaranteed.

More vacation time - Plenty of time.
If the family/work would let me get out more - no problem there.
Closer bodies of water - Oceanfront would be nice.
Cheaper cost for gas to and from the dive site - Lower gas prices are always good.
If I owned my own gear - I have plenty of gear
A baby sitter - I don't need one any more.
A reliable dive partner - that always helps, reliable is not the question though ... it's more similar interests.
Year round ideal diving weather - Got that.
Better dive locations then what I currently have near by - Don't need that.
Cheaper certification classes for the type of diving I want to do - Don't need that.
A better vehicle to haul my gear to and from - Got a fine 4x4 pickup.
A dive boat - I'd like to get a boat, but that's something else to pour time and money into, might get less diving done.

Hotels are expensive and so is gas and while we are on topic of money... so is dive trip itself. 1 dive trip ( 2 tanks) to Boynton Beach costs me $100 in gas, $32 in nitrox, $100 for dive journey itself and that is without stopping for food, paying for hotel etc.. which always adds another $150. By comparison mountain biking is free every time I go riding on weekends.

I actually got into diving because it was so cheap where I live. Shore diving rocks.

Air: $6x2 = $12
Gasoline: $16 / 2 = $8
Parking: $10 / 2 = $5
Food: $5-$30 :(

It's funny that food always ended up being the most expensive, because it would start out as granola and fruit. Then a vitamin water. Oh, ice cream! Hm, now it's late... lasagne? etc.

So yeah, like $25 plus whatever we gorged outselves on. I was in graduate school when I got certified, and if it was $250 for a day of diving that wouldn't have ever happened.

Right now, just more strength in the muscles supporting my new hip. I've been diving since the surgery, but have to be selective on the shore dive approaches to be able to carry my gear on land.

I live right next to the ocean but I have a hard time finding people that can get kitchen pass, or it is to expensive, or they are on nights that week, or their ovaries hurt, or their dogs ovaries hurt.

I don't mind going by myself and getting an insta buddy on the boat as it is that or don't dive, but honestly I've only had one good buddy so far this year in the last 7 dives. You can communicate all you want on the surface but once your wet........ I wish my wife would want to go as she is someone I trust but she has a really hard time when water hits her nose so I don't bring it up much. She would have a hard time with the mask removal and clearing skills so she needs to be motivated and want to do it not because I want her to, although I do tell her I'd love to go with her to take a discover scuba course.

just curious as to how we could get more divers in the water more often!

You missed the option "More Money". I voted for a couple other options too though

Put another day in the week then I could dive eight days a week! Currently diving Cebu,Philippines for six months.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Interesting thread...

Having a good dive location, just returned from Tobermory (12C).
Canada is too cold!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom