What was your greatest dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving off a wreck in Hatteras North Carolina when a 10' Sand Tiger shark charged me a few years ago. I got great video of the incident and put it on scubaboard.

Hard to pick a best, there are so many completely different experiences, Steve's Bommi GBR where there were so many fish in the water I finished the dive and went back in the water with snorkle gear for another hour just to watch. Bat Island off Costa Rica where Manta Rays circled in and out of the 30 foot vis for the whole dive, Placencia, Belize off the outer reef where we saw a giant turtle just slightly smaller than a volkswagon, Quadra Island BC where the rocks are covered in carpets of strawberry anemonies. Cayman Brac where I found and photographed an orange ball anemonie. A solo exploration dive on a high current site where it is likely that nobody has ever been before - nothing particularly new or exciting, but the anticipation and the focus on doing everything safely adds to the experience. All memorable experiences, but which one would be "best". Not possible to say as they really don't compare to each other.

Five caves off Maui last October. Easy shallow dive, caves, bubble cave, turtles, octopus, helmet shells, cool sponge crab (looked like an alien stomping back into his home)

Not alot of dives logged but cozumel's SANTA ROSA WALL was awsome and the cenotes outside Playa was the best

My greatest dive was off Sattahip in Thailand on the wreck of the Hardeep. Thai coastal steam ship bombed by the British RAF during WWII.

It was my first penetration wreck dive and it has left me to an obsession with wreck diving to this day.

Also there was a whale shark circling the wreck the entire dive that was as interested in me as I was of it. I remember looking up through the twisted metal of the wreck above me and having the sun light disappear as the shark would pass over head.

I met my future wife on the boat that day too!

This was my greatest dive. Hell maybe even my greatest day!

Attachments

• suddhadib_full.jpg
    suddhadib_full.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It is hard to figure out the best but I have to break it down to

First, Last, or Next.

I can remember the first last it was yesterday even thou it has been 3 years. Last wasn't anything special cause the vis was limited but I was underwater and breathing air. And I have no idea where the next will be but probably Mammoth Lake this weekend.

I’ve got two, if you don’t mind. J

First was my dive of the sea lion rookery off of Santa Barbara Island, right here in sunny murky So Cal. The vis was awful, the water was cold, and there were SEA LIONS…ALL OVER THE PLACE! They are so playful, so funny, and so interactive with divers it made diving a completely different experience. It was fun watching them grab the kelp in their mouth pulling it towards you and letting it go as they changed directions.

Second was Shacks Beach in Puerto Rico. Warm clear water, some narrow caverns, good buoyancy control is a must but it was absolutely beautiful. Saw the biggest sting ray I’ve ever seen on that dive…

What a great question! Trying to rank the dives made me think about so many that have been memorable for various reasons . . . Great places, great buddies, rare encounters. Three are memorable for a single, fabulous critter: The whale off Lanai that buzzed us, the 10' GPO that sat directly underneath me for several minutes on a local night dive, the six gill shark Bob and I ran into one night while scootering. One was memorable for simply having gone off beautifully: The 100 foot free ascent at the end of my Helitrox class, where I nailed all my stops AND a 40' bag shoot.

But probably the best dive yet was my trip down the Southwest Sac Bey passage with KMD in June. Every moment of that dive was full of wonder. I kept gasping at how beautiful what we were seeing was, and almost ended up retaining CO2 because I wasn't breathing properly! When we surfaced, I had a grin from ear to ear, and I couldn't stop saying, "Wow, what an incredible dive that was!" Kevin smiled indulgently, but I think he enjoyed seeing how excited I was. I can't wait to get back down there and do it again.

My best was in 06 at Darwin's Arch, Galapagos. We did a "hot drop" from the pangas because a whale shark was seen in the area. We dropped just about on top of it. Then it vanished. I was in the "blue" no bottom, no reef, just blue and saw my roommate. I swam over to her and asked to buddy. She said yes. After about 5 minutes, I signaled "up" she signaled stay here. After about another 5 minutes I signaled up and she signaled stay here. Then it happened. The whale shark CAME BACK I got a picture that took the breath away from everybody else on that boat. I'd post it if I could figure out how.

Would love to see it..if it has a URL address, copy it & paste it after clicking on the little above yellow box with the 'mountains' in it....hope this will help, good luck.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom