What type of D-Rings do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent d-rings are nice because they're easier to grasp with thick gloves if there's nothing already hanging from them. I was taught to clip from the bottom up (or from the "inside out," not sure if that's clear) so it really doesn't matter since it means fidgeting with them anyways.

I gotta do something, my crotch strap was killing me scootering on Saturday, I became the expert of the "shift light to right hand, reach down with left, adjust." I'm sure Bob thought I was, errr, nuts.
Just tell him that it was the helium that made your voice high and squeaky. :D

I have the bent D rings from Fred T, and they are just fine for me, but I'm used to them.

2 shiny bent d-rings on chest.
1 blue (power coated?) flat d-ring on left waist.
2 shiny, slightly thicker, flat d-rings on crotch strap

Chris

Mine are bent slightly. I like them better than the flat ones.
My GUE instructor didn't have much feeling one way or the other but said the flat ones were prefered because of what Tobin said.

My D-rings are available in both a heavy duty and light duty version. If you need thinner ones let me know. Generally the heavier ones are used up top to better support stages but even the light ones are strong enough to do that job, or alternately I have a long verson that is a bit better suited to dealing with smurf gloves.

FT

Fred-
Thanks for the reply. I actually, like your D-Rings, I just have to be careful attaching small boltsnaps because the mouth on the snap only opens wide enough to accept the thickness of the D-Ring, and if I try to put it on over the flat side, it does not fit...I hope that made sense.

BTW, what type of bit would I have to use to countersink the holes on one of your SS Backplates? I tried a HSS bit, and it doesn't work too great.

Tom

Fred-
Thanks for the reply. I actually, like your D-Rings, I just have to be careful attaching small boltsnaps because the mouth on the snap only opens wide enough to accept the thickness of the D-Ring, and if I try to put it on over the flat side, it does not fit...I hope that made sense.

BTW, what type of bit would I have to use to countersink the holes on one of your SS Backplates? I tried a HSS bit, and it doesn't work too great.

Tom

Yep. Either go to a larger clip, or a thin ring.

As for the bit, C'sink for stainless needs to be a "chatterless" fluted bit, generally with 5 or 7 cutting edges in either cobalt or Ti-nitride coated (carbide ones work great but are right expensive) Severance makes a great line that is moderately priced with a good edge.

For drilling new holes by hand use a bullet bit and be sure to use lubricant.

In both cases use firm steady pressure as SST work hardens if you let the bit drag on it without making a chip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom