What type of D-Rings do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just curious, What type of D-Rings are you all using?

I have some pretty nice ones made by Fred Tagge, but they are a little thick to clip things onto. I've also seen the welded D-Rings at a permenent 45 degree angle, and some that are bent at 45 degrees. Which are people using and why?

Tom

BTW, no its not a DIR question specifically, so move it if you must, I'm just trying to limit some of the answers to the people who have actually had experience with such things...

Just curious, What type of D-Rings are you all using?

I have some pretty nice ones made by Fred Tagge, but they are a little thick to clip things onto. I've also seen the welded D-Rings at a permenent 45 degree angle, and some that are bent at 45 degrees. Which are people using and why?

Tom

BTW, no its not a DIR question specifically, so move it if you must, I'm just trying to limit some of the answers to the people who have actually had experience with such things...

Conventional wire drings. I prefer the thinner ones, i.e. 3/16 or 5mm diameter. The thinner wire drings are easier to clip off to.

I prefer the two chest drings be "bent" so they stand off the webbing slightly, the other 3 drings in a Hogarthian Harness are unbent.

Fixed rings are easier to clip off to, but can be a greater entanglement hazard, and could "key" you in a restriction.

Tobin

BTW, I make and have used both styles.....

Interesting . . . I use flat D-rings on my chest, and a bent one for the SPG. I found the left hip D-ring to be the one most difficult to find and get into, which is why I have a bent one there.

Mine are in the shape of a "D" and have a hole in the middle.

The two chest ones are bent the others aren't. Don't know if it would really make that much of a difference if it was reversed though.

They're shiny. They were provided by Tobin with his DSS hogarthian harness.

I use the flat rings, although I used to have a fixed 90 degree ring on my left side. It was easy to clip into, but it didn't work out so well with my harness- the nylon webbing was stiff and slick, so the fixed ring would slide out of position when I clipped a bottle to it. Sure I could have used a triglide, but the usual wire ones work just fine.

As far as bent rings on the shoulders, I find that the bolt snaps on my backup lights keep the d-rings from going flat.

Doug- you could put a few more bent d-rings on your crotch strap. :wink:

I agree with Do It Easy. Flat versus bent D-rings are a moot point on the shoulders if you are using them already to clip the backup lights. Same with the left waist if you also have a deco or stage clipped off.

I use flat d-rings all the way around.

I do not like the fixed welded rings at all.

Interesting. I had a feeling more people would have liked the bent kind. I'm normally only carrying around one light on my left D-Ring. I was having a bit of an issue clipping off to my right D-Ring this weekend with my new smurf gloves...which prompted the question.
Thanks all
Tom

Doug- you could put a few more bent d-rings on your crotch strap. :wink:

I gotta do something, my crotch strap was killing me scootering on Saturday, I became the expert of the "shift light to right hand, reach down with left, adjust." I'm sure Bob thought I was, errr, nuts.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom