What to put in my bag? That is the question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longshotgene

Registered
Reaction score
I know you guys have years of advice and experience on me, so I thought I would put this one out there. When you dive, fresh and salt, what do you absolutely have to take with you? A knife is obvious. What is it you take and why? I want to build up my gear according to suggestions.

Other than a "standard" save-a-dive kit (you can look up what's basically in that almost anywhere), I include the following:
Bottle of water.
Solid container to keep computer & watch in while not in use.
Water proof jar to log (with pencil) info. to keep log book dry (I keep that in the "dry" bag for signatures)--unless you use computer log.
Spare "goody" bag in case you lose the one you are using.

A small light always comes. Used for peering into dim spaces and signaling if separated.

rescue mask, signal mirror/DAN tag, safety sausage.
And I agree with the other postings as well...but you need to decide what types of dives you are doing and plan your essentials accordingly...I consider a full First Aid kit and Oxygen
as a must for me but most folks wouldn't.
Complete set of wrenches, extra O rings, silicon gel, fin strap, snorkle clip. oh and a clip on dry box for car keys and a DM to lug all the gear.:eyebrow:
I think if you search the threads you'll find a similar thread to this.

I know you guys have years of advice and experience on me, so I thought I would put this one out there. When you dive, fresh and salt, what do you absolutely have to take with you? A knife is obvious. What is it you take and why? I want to build up my gear according to suggestions.

A small (~ 3"x6"x9") Pelican case with your style of O-rings, a small container of O2-lube, the open-end wrenches needed to change/tighten all your hoses, a spool that fits your SPG, a cylinder valve tool that looks like a split screwdriver, a scuba multi-tool ( http://www.scubatools.com/Catalog/catalog.pdf most likely a 20-100-200), spare mouthpiece, a few non-corroding zip ties. I could go on.

But most importantly, a pen and notepad that lists what you really needed on your last dive.

Sounds like you are taking the reins to your own horse, good start...

A 6 pack of beer for when we get out :D:cool2:

It sounds like you are asking about what gear to take with you on an ocean dive.

Surface signaling equipment are important safety items on ocean dives. It is incredibly hard for a boat captain to see a divers head in the water.

* mirror
* surface signalling sausage
* whistle, and/or Dive Alert, which hooks to your power inflator

Mooring lines often have growth on them that will cut or sting you. Gloves are needed for some dives.

A dive light is useful for looking at things in dark holes and crevices, and can be a lifesaver if you end up lost at sea and are not found before sunset.

You may encounter netting, ropes, or monofilament fishing line. EMT shears will cut fishing line one handed. For a knife, I use a simple folding lockback knife. I have lanyards on both, and the lanyard goes onto my wrist before i use them.

As in fresh water, some sort of slate can be useful. I choose to have a couple of sheets of waterproof paper wrapped around my signal mirror.

===========================

All of the above are things that you take diving.

For on the boat, my recommendation is a small (10 or 15 liter) drybag that you can use to store things like a change of clothing. Having it in a drybag means you can leave it in your gearbag, even if the gearbag may be soaked in seawater during the trip. I find having a small drybag inside my gearbag is a lot more convenient than having to find a dry storage location on the boat.

For a long day out on the water, I also strongly recommend a hat, preferably one that can be soaked in saltwater without damage, and one that has a chin strap to keep it in place in high winds.

Considering where I dive, I always keep a dry-bag with a large pair of snowmobiling gloves that contain hot-hands. They are a life saver for when I have to strip my 7mm wet suit off. (I am too poor to buy a dry suit, I am fine diving 0-4C in my wet though).

I also keep my dive light / back-up, and between my buddy and I: set of box wrenches, o-rings, hex wrenches, a spare mask, spare fins, spare snorkel, and various bits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom