What to expect in AOW digital photography class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just signed up to take my AOW courses on my vacation to Kaua'i next month. They are going to be sending me all the materials to study before class, but I haven't received them yet.

So in a few words, can y'all tell me what I'll be learning in this class? I already know how to operate a camera :D

I don't own a camera for scuba diving (yet) so I'll be using whatever the dive shop provides for me.

I figured this class is going to be my one and only opportunity to get some diving photos in Kaua'i and didn't want to miss the opportunity by skipping this class for now. The other electives I'm taking there are peak performance buoyancy and boat diving. I'm not planning to have a camera on any of my other dives except the actual photography class dives because I want to focus on perfecting my buoyancy.

I don't know in what order I'll be taking all the classes (over two days) but I hope photography is last :confused: I kind of assume the deep diving class will be the first.one.

Hello TexasKaren68,

Congratulations on wanting to further your diving education with the AOW class. You didn't mention whether it's a PADI class or one from another agency. For most agencies these dives should be somewhat similar in structure, but I am only referencing PADI for you at the moment.
AOW is really a way to gain some more experience under the guidance and mentorship of a diving professional. The five dives give you some experience in different activities but they are not full courses in themselves. They introduce you to an activity, such as u/w photography. If you enjoy it then you can go forward and take the specialty course. There are cases where your AOW dive can be credited towards the specialty, but that is really beyond your question.
Since photo will only be one of the five dives do not expect to become a proficient u/w photographer. You will be introduced to a few concepts like controlling your buoyancy while shooting, how to use and adjust for the loss of light at depth and some basic composition techniques.
After that the u/w photo specialties will expand on those ideas and begin to home your skills in shooting and post production workflow.

As to when the dive will be offered, the dives are flexible in their order. Our normal class runs like this: Day 1: Buoyancy dive first. Then elective dive one (could be photo). Later in the day is elective two (we usually do a night dive).
Day 2: Deep dive first. Then elective dive three.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions that I can help with please feel free to ask.

Enjoy the trip, the course and the diving!!

Hank

If it is PADI, and it is "Digital UW Photography" you need to do the complete specialty for the dive to count toward your AOW, as in that particular area it is "Level 2" that is required for the AOW. That's certainly possible, but you might enquire as to whether the addition of that specialty course would affect the cost of your AOW.

You'd have the option of doing the "Underwater Photography" dive which focuses more on things you'd need for a film camera than a digital (for example, the performance requirements differ depending on whether your camera is set up for macro or wide angle photography for that particular dive).

Either way, enjoy your course!

kari

I would certainly do Buoyancy first, if you have that choice. That way you can experience for yourself just how dramatically adding a camera to the mix effects your buoyancy! :(:(

Simply amazing, how focusing on trying hard to get just that right angle, and capturing that image of a fish, can shoot your buoyancy so utterly and completely in less than a second or two! :shakehead:

Thanks for the info so far.

Yes, it will be a PADI course.

My buoyancy is all over the place so far. I'm hoping to get a couple more dives in the (salt water) pool to experiment a bit with weights as I know I've been overweighted at this point.

I know that it's most important to get my buoyancy under control before spending a huge amount of time and money on photography, but I'm impatient that way. I just know National Geographic will be calling :D

I would certainly do Buoyancy first, if you have that choice. That way you can experience for yourself just how dramatically adding a camera to the mix effects your buoyancy! :(:(

Simply amazing, how focusing on trying hard to get just that right angle, and capturing that image of a fish, can shoot your buoyancy so utterly and completely in less than a second or two! :shakehead:

Really??? Adding a camera was the complete opposite for me, as I stopped thinking about (and screwing up) my buoyancy and concentrated on getting the shot . . .

Ain't it the truth Jim!!!

OP -- Since this will be a PADI AOW class, you will do at least 5 dives -- three of them are "elective Adventure dives" and you must do the Underwater Navigation and Deep dives. IF you are lucky, the shop will make sure the three elective dives will actually enhance your skill level -- and it is your job to make sure the Shop and the Instructor do their jobs of teaching you.

For example, if you do a Boat dive as one of the 3 elective Adventure dives, "demand" that the instructor talk (teach) you about not only what is in the Book (Adventures in Diving) but also other things important to Boat diving. Those other things might include:

a. Deploying a Surface Marker Buoy;
b. Strategies for deciding how to manage your air supply (all available, halves, thirds -- and how to determine your minimum air reserve);
c. Strategies for finding/returning to the upline on a moored boat;
d. Different methods for exiting boats (Giant stride, back roll, gearing up in water) and when each is appropriate; and
e. Different methods for getting back on the boat and when each is appropriate.

It is easy to just let the class be a series of dives -- it may be up to you to make it a learning experience. Good luck and have fun.

Hi Karen,

I am very happy to hear that you will be focusing mainly on your buoyancy on your PADI AOW Course, in my eyes this is the main reason behind why people should take the AOW and why an PADI Instructor should take extra time on the first dive on the the course to ensure that the buoyancy of their students is at a high level... otherwise the rest of the course (like photography) wont be so easy to conduct. In fact in the Photography component of the AOW course one of the performance requirements is that the student displays good buoyancy techniques and dives in an AWARE manner.

To credit for your Digital Underwater Photography towards your AOW certification, you must actually complete level 2 of the specialty which means that the manual, white balance Slate must be purchased. Level one may be conducted in a pool or even when snorkeling so that the AOW program does not run over your 5 dives that you require.

On Dive one you will be looking at set up and care of the camera and basic functions such as white balancing and the differences between the standard settings and macro settings. Basically the aim is just to get you feeling comfortable with the camera in your hands by taking as many photos as possible.

In Dive 2 things get a little bit more interesting, where you will start to focus on how to get the basics of composition, using negative space, rule of thirds and so on. The use of external flashes is integrated in to the course now along with the use of wide-angle lenses and also exposure composition.

It is a great course to learn the basic techniques of Under Water Digital Photography like shooting upwards at all opportunities, but dont expect your photos at the end of the day to be at a professional level, you have learn the techniques on which you will build your skills on further dives when you take a camera with you.

Although saying that.... Photoshop can work wonders!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/blueseason.bali

Last edited by a moderator:
@TexasKaren68: I'd recommend not doing the Digital Underwater Photography course until you've really nailed down your buoyancy control. For most people, this is approx. 50 dives. I wish I had a nickel for every newbie that I've seen toting a camera, kicking up silt, crashing into coral, being completely oblivious to where his/her buddy was. It's not a pretty sight. You'll find UW photography will be less stressful and much more fun when buoyancy control is second nature.

If you want UW photos during your Kaua'i trip, pay someone else to take them for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom