What to expect in AOW digital photography class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my point as well. Either photo or digital photo can count towards AOW, there are different paths to get to that point. If the OP is just looking for the experience then the "regular" photo dive fits the bill nicely. If the OP wants the "digital" version, then there is extra class time, extra work and extra expense associated with it. As long as TexasKaren has the info, or knows to ask for it from her instructor, then our job here is done.

The DUP course varies massively depending on the instructor.
The standards themselves are very low level. If youre taught the bare minimum of the standards you'll learn pretty much nothing except how to set a white balance.
If you've got a good instructor, one thats interested in it themselves then you can get a lot more into it.

If you do the Digital Photo adventure dive you have to do the confined part first and then they MUST issue you with the certification for the speciality as well.

However, a lot of dodgy places just do the old "UW Photographer" adventure dive with a digital camera to avoid taking time to teach the confined or spend more issuing a cert.

So the first thing is to work out which adventure dive you're actually doing.

As far as PADI AOW is concerned, there are 5 dives. No matter what variety of Photography, the Photography dive is still just an AOW Photography dive.

There is a difference- if its DUP there is a mandatory confined (level 1) session before level 2 (the dive).

As I've typed before in this thread, I think some of you need to try to comprehend the words in the OP. Since typing those words does not seem to have any of the intended results; I will give some narrated help to those with apparent comprehension problems.

I'm not planning to have a camera on any of my other dives except the actual photography class dives

Please notice the s.

I read the OP as indicating that TexasKaren68 IS already signed up for the Digital Underwater Photography Specialty, and AOW.

If that is so, a few of this threads posts seem to be only answering the actual topic of this thread by accident. :idk:

To me it reads like he's just doing AOW and doesnt seem to give any detail about whether he's just doing the photography adventure dive OR a DUP. Its quite possible he doesn't know himself if the dive shop hasn't made it clear.
Its important though as they're completely different things.

he's, he's, he, himself....

:confused:

comprehension, comprehension, comprehension, comprehension...

OK, first of all I apologize for the extra "s" in the OP. I will be doing one digital photography dive. I called the dive shop and was informed that to complete the specialty I would need to do the pool work plus one more open water dive. What I will do for AOW will count towards the specialty which I will complete later (not much later, but later nonetheless)

Second, last time I checked, Karen is usually a girl's name here in the U. S.:D

Alternatively, I suppose I could do dive one at home and have the AOW dive be dive two?

At any rate, my goal for this trip is AOW, not DUP.

Karen,
Thank you for the clarification on both the dives and who you really are!! It may have appeared that we went off on a tangent, but it's just kind of a weird wrinkle in the way dives are arranged since the photo option got split into Underwater Photographer and Digital underwater Photographer. My main concern was that between you, the shop and the instructor everyone was on the same page as far as your class. It seems that is the case, so go enjoy your diving and AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom