College underwater photography classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone direct me to an underwater photography college class? I’m looking for an Accredited college class for 3 or more credits. Community College? University? North/central America or Europe preferred.

I know about the PADI and other speciality classes. That is not what I am looking for. I am trying to find an actual university class.

Thanks

Reactions: OTF
I teach one at Texas A&M Galveston.

UT San Antonio has some classes both macro and wide angle.
BVA
Do you have any more information on that? I have a former PhD student (wasn't my student, I just approved his dive plans!) at UTSA doing his first post doc and does a lot of diving research. As far as he knew there was no dive program there, but was looking to start one.

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me a bit more info? I see Dive 331 in the catalog but no photography class.
It is Dive 331, technically called Alternative Dive Technology, 3 credit hours. It is about 2/3 underwater photo and 1/3 full face mask. Not at all related to each other, but it allows us to have a regular size class and fit our current gear limitations (number of cameras and FFMs). The course description will be mostly useless, since the class is a bit of a hodgepodge. It started off as 1/3 research diving,1/3 commercial diving and 1/3 military diving, but since the commercial and military instructors are no longer at TAMUG, its morphed into what it is. Been FFM and UW photo for 5 years or so.

We have 2 Lumix point and shoots (full manual), 1 Canon Rebel all in Ikelite housings and one Canon 5D in an Aquatica housing available for teaching. Although I've been leaving the 5D off lately because the students are too intimidated by a full housing at this point.

Are you looking for something specific?

It is Dive 331, technically called Alternative Dive Technology, 3 credit hours. It is about 2/3 underwater photo and 1/3 full face mask. Not at all related to each other, but it allows us to have a regular size class and fit our current gear limitations (number of cameras and FFMs). The course description will be mostly useless, since the class is a bit of a hodgepodge. It started off as 1/3 research diving,1/3 commercial diving and 1/3 military diving, but since the commercial and military instructors are no longer at TAMUG, its morphed into what it is. Been FFM and UW photo for 5 years or so.

We have 2 Lumix point and shoots (full manual), 1 Canon Rebel all in Ikelite housings and one Canon 5D in an Aquatica housing available for teaching. Although I've been leaving the 5D off lately because the students are too intimidated by a full housing at this point.

Are you looking for something specific?
Thanks,

My son need to have an “art” class to apply for admission to a California university. It needs to be 3 credits from an accredited school. He is a passionate diver with interest in photography so that would be a lot more interesting then something like ceramics or painting. Ideally an old line class or accelerated class over the summer or winter break would be best.

Back
Top Bottom