Question Tell Me Where to Live in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
hawaiian.hokie

hawaiian.hokie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I figured this might be a good place to put this question out there. I'm an Army Officer currently stationed in Hawaii, looking to leave the Army in late 2025. I love Hawaii and being able to dive every weekend, but it is way too expensive with not enough job prospects.

Being the planner that I am, I want to start putting out feelers for jobs and places to live early so I have a plan when I leave. I'm looking at Florida because I like the warm weather, it's veteran-friendly, and I like that it has no state income tax.

With all that said, does anyone have any recommendations on where to start looking to live/work in Florida? I've gotten accustomed to diving every weekend in Hawaii, so I'd prefer a location with some good diving spots/active diving community. I definitely fall into the middle-class bracket, so I'm trying to find a good balance between a lower cost of living, diving, and somewhere with decent job prospects (I work in emergency and operations management and have a healthcare background).

Any suggestions?

It would seem to largely depend on the type of work you are looking for and where that is available. Are you by yourself or with a family, who may have other work/school needs?
Luckily it’s just my significant other and my dogs so I don’t have to worry about schools. She works in healthcare so she’s pretty flexible when it comes to places to work

I've been on the Space Coast since leaving Colorado 30+ years ago. Good diving isn't far from pretty much anywhere you might be in the state. What has changed since covid is the cost of EVERYTHING. Florida was always a lower paying state, in general. This was offset by the much lower cost of housing, food, low taxes etc. Now it's expensive, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. If your into tech for work, you might want to look at Brevard county. Wrecks and reefs in Palm Beach are only 90 miles south, as is BHB, and the Keys are about 4 hours. Caves/Caverns are in the High Springs area to the NW. ALL of them are within relatively short driving distance from the Melbourne area, which is also the home of Patrick SFB.

@hawaiian.hokie I'm part of a dying breed. I was born on the Space Coast and now live in Broward County. Aside from my time in the Navy, I've been in FL.

Lots of good advice! Brevard County (Space Coast), like Tampa area is extremely military friendly/veteran heavy. Space Coast puts you within 3 hours of most of the FUN...Diving down south here. Springs north central. Theme parks, the works. However, since I grew up in Cocoa 30 years ago, it's definitely gotten a bit methy. Land/lots are getting scooped up by developers so if you like acreage, it might be tough to find.

South Florida, heck, if you have to PCS, look for orders here at the command in Doral. I've worked here since 2002. HOWEVER, while beautiful down here, and excellent diving, the rest is trash! Awful people, awful drivers, awful traffic, and awful housing prices. The slight glimmer of joy is the fishing and diving that is easily accessible...And yes, I am planning on moving once my daughter graduates this year! @scubadada is in a better place in Boynton because it's closer to wrecks and such AND the benefit of nicer people and less crazy traffic. That definitive line where some normalcy begins to show its face is a bit north of Jupiter to Port Saint Lucie -- from there north, it gets better!

Thank you all for the responses!! It definitely gives me a good starting point of where to look!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom