What to do with your old Christmas trees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! Just checking in to see how the event went. I had some errands to run, so couldnt make it out.

Any pics? I'd like to see the end result of the trees.

Hey! Just checking in to see how the event went. I had some errands to run, so couldnt make it out.

Any pics? I'd like to see the end result of the trees.
You have to come diving with one of the people that knows where we hid them.
But there is a little evergreen forest submerged out there.

You have to come diving with one of the people that knows where we hid them.

Oooh, they are hidden? :shocked2: Is this just like an Easter egg hunt but instead of eggs it is Christmas trees, and instead of on land it is an underwater search?

Are the trees still decorated? Are there any presents under the trees? . . . . .or just fish? :D

Well I bet the 1st to find them will some poor folks anchoring their boat in the area, and pulling up a bunch of XMas trees.

Guess the divers can go out on a weekly basis, and get some good anchors that had to be cut loose.

The dives went really well. They sunk a whole bunch of trees, though as you said, they looked like that with the proper amount of force they could start rocking out of their spots. I doubt that they would start to float up though because they'll probably be waterlogged shortly.

I just feel blessed that I was able to dive today and nothing went wrong to stop me. It's been a while since I've been underwater. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finale...I know for a fact someone had a video camera there, so maybe a video of what it looked at the end...who knows.

Anyways, it was nice meeting everyone there, and hopefully I'll be able to come diving with you guys more often.

It certainly was quite a challenge sinking those trees. You would be amazed on how buoyant they were. It took two of us swimming with all our might to pull them down to the bottom! I had a great time diving and meeting everyone too.

Thanks for the hot chicken noodle soup and hot dogs you guys made to warm up and refuel in between dives.

Just a suggeston but, I am thinking next time we could pre-soak the trees when we first get there before gearing up and maybe try pulling them down by attatching an anchor to them to help hold them while grounding them with rocks. Does anyone else have any input or ideas?

It certainly was quite a challenge sinking those trees. You would be amazed on how buoyant they were. It took two of us swimming with all our might to pull them down to the bottom! I had a great time diving and meeting everyone too.

Thanks for the hot chicken noodle soup and hot dogs you guys made to warm up and refuel in between dives.

Just a suggeston but, I am thinking next time we could pre-soak the trees when we first get there before gearing up and maybe try pulling them down by attatching an anchor to them to help hold them while grounding them with rocks. Does anyone else have any input or ideas?

The last set of trees we were smarter on. We used the anchor and it went right down. We just gathered some rocks and released the anchor. Next year will be much easier.

I bet that worked much easier. Hey it was the first time doing this so it is a learning curve. We now have some ideas on what did and didn't work and it will be smoother next go around. Hopefully it will do some good and the trees won't be in the way ofa boaters. It was in a no wake area and not to far from shore so i doubt anchors will be a problem.

Thanks for all of the help, the project would not have been a success without everyone's help! I now know that if I am on a cruise ship at Christmas time and it sinks I am going to grab the Christmas tree! I was really surprised on how well they floated and that not all of them had the same amount of floatation. It was really nice to meet everyone and I hope that the project becomes a yearly event. I have some other ideas about that area and I will keep everyone posted as those ideas mature. Thanks again, hope to see you all diving soon!

Inland Water Divers LLC
Goodyear, AZ
Not all dive shops are created equal, stop by and find out why Inland Water Divers is the only NAUI Pro Platinum facility in the valley.

I had a great time sinking the trees. We learned a lot this time around and those lessons will make next year's event that much smoother. That was my first ever back roll enterance off a zodiac or any other kind of boat. That in itself was a hoot to do.

Inland Water Divers did a great job overall. The hot dogs and chicken soup really hit the spot. They were a great group of divers and I hope we can dive together from time to time. I can't wait to get back to the lake and see if any little swimmers have taken up residence among the branches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom