What to do with your old Christmas trees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pour my used motor oil on them and burn them in the backyard with all the medical waste I bring home from work.....

J/K

But have you ever thought that it is NOT natural for hundreds of trees to end up in the water......

I pour my used motor oil on them and burn them in the backyard with all the medical waste I bring home from work.....

J/K

But have you ever thought that it is NOT natural for hundreds of trees to end up in the water......

There are an awfull lot of trees that were submerged in the 90's when they finished the new dam and trippled the size of the lake. Yeah, underwater trees ARE pretty natural around here. As I recall they moved all the saguaros and other cacti out before flooding.

There's also a construction village that housed the crews who built the original dam as well as the equipment that was just to big to move; all of which is sitting somewhere at the bottom of the lake. Been there for about 80 years and isn't exactly natural either.

To the OP: Do we show up with trees or will there be some already delivered...or both?

Steve.

Last edited:
Everyone is welcome to come out to the lake to help out, just remember the water temp is going to be a little chilly (remember it is not cold if there isn't ice). As usual we will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast and if needed change the dive day if the weather does not permit a good day of diving. It would be a great help if anyone interested could bring out a tree to sink, since we will have limited transportation at our disposal. I hope to see as many of you as possible at this worthwhile event building some fish habitat for the entire Phoenix diving community!

PS I think I have already addressed any of the environmental concerns in prior posts!

Hey All,

If you didn't get a real tree this year and think you can't participate in the tree sinking, think again. Check out your local christmas tree lot. The one at the intersection of Arizona Ave and Elliot has a pile of free trees for the taking. I'll bet that isn't the only one. C'ya on the 17th!

Steve.

That is a great idea i will have to look into my side of town and see what i can get. I was thinking when peoria is doing their tree pick up i can find some then.

That's a good idea too. I saw the trees with the sign this morning at about 9:00. By the time I came home, posted the notice and returned (only a few blocks from my home) the trees were already tossed into a dumpster.

So, I completed my first dumpster dive ever and now have a couple of trees ready to sink. Now my only question is; can I log the dumpster dive as a search and recovery?:D

Do we have permission from the controlling entities at the lake to put in the trees? Is there a specific area set aside for it? I was talking to someone the other day and they said that the fines can get pretty hefty if we don't have permission.

I'm hoping that Capt. Pete can shed some light on this.

Steve.

:wink: Make the one in Pleasant larger!

Im sure the kids would love that..

Its a great reef, the kids have built, lots of fish!

Adding to it would be fantastic, Im sure the Peoria Kids would be greatful..

Where is the reef that the Peoria Kids built?

I added it to my calendar.

Capt. Pete, let me know if I can donate anything that is needed for the sinking.

Back
Top Bottom