What to do with your old Christmas trees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Pete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What are going to do with your old Christmas tree? How about helping out the fish habitat at Lake Pleasant. Drop off your old Christmas tree, please make sure they are cleaned off & without flocking, at Inland Water Divers or join us at the lake on Saturday January 17th at 9 am and help us sink them. Help us do something to make the lake a better place to dive and have some fun while doing it. At least it is a good excuse to break out your 7mm or drysuit!

Inland Water Divers LLC
13250 W. Van Buren Rd. #116
Goodyear, AZ
Not all dive shops are created equal, find out why Inland Water Divers is the only NAUI Pro Platinum facility in Arizona​

I don't have a living tree this year but I'll certainly help sink 'em. Count me in.

Steve.

Wow, that sounds like fun.

Have you done this before? Is the pine (spruce, whatever) an okay environment for the fishes? How many trees to you expect to sink?

I wish I were closer, I'd definately love to see this in the works.

Since you ask it as a question-for us it as almost as much as a time honored traditon as the getting the tree itself. Up for Christmas ... set it ablaze for New Years...

g29.jpg

Of course, fish habit is probably a worthwhile effort to, I guess :shakehead:.

'mg

:wink: Make the one in Pleasant larger!

Im sure the kids would love that..

Its a great reef, the kids have built, lots of fish!

Adding to it would be fantastic, Im sure the Peoria Kids would be greatful..

Since you ask it as a question-for us it as almost as much as a time honored traditon as the getting the tree itself. Up for Christmas ... set it ablaze for New Years...

g29.jpg

Of course, fish habit is probably a worthwhile effort to, I guess :shakehead:.

'mg

You'd want to make sure that the tree is OUTSIDE before you do your "Manny Matches" thing.:D

To answer a few questions this is the first time that we have tried to do this however fish habitats built from brush found around the lake have been used in the past. I am not sure how many trees we will relocate to the lake however I would like to see this turn into an annual event. As far as that trees in the lake, it is not uncommon to have trees and logs floating in the lake after a storm, before they get waterlogged and sink. I do not believe the use of Christmas trees would differ from what already occurs due to nature. I am very interested to see if this project helps the fish population.

Inland Water Divers LLC
13250 W. Van Buren Rd. #116
Goodyear, AZ
Not all dive shops are created equal, find out why Inland Water Divers is the only NAUI Platinum facility in Arizona

I live in Reno, NV and there was a gravel pit next to I-80 in Sparks, on the North side of the road. In the flood of 97, a stream next to the pit flooded and filled the pit. Now it's the Sparks Marina. About 6 years ago, the Nevada Department of Wildlife did just this with Christmas trees. They bundled them, about 5 to a bunch and sank them. That gave the bass a habitat. With the increased fish population, the "marina" is no longer a hunt and seek, we actually have about 20 feet visibility and it gets better every year.

And the fishermen are happy too. :)

Adding to the fish habitat in lake pleasant, would be great..

Every year the habitat is getting larger, and we see alot of fish..

This is the only fish habitat i know of in lake pleasant, that is man made.

It continues to grow each year by the great efforts of peoria's kids.

Pretty amazing to watch the fish, when the water level is at it's peak.

What an incredible idea! I had no idea that there were man made habitats at LP. I have done most of my dives there in classess (13 dives) and just learning more and more about the lake. I don't have a real tree but will see if anyone i know has one to get rid of. I will see if i can make it to help out that weekend if your okay with a newbie diver.

Back
Top Bottom