What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As AWAP said, it's just a matter of time. The shop will be forced to do one of two things....
Lie to customers or come clean individually when asked.

Think about it.... anyone who cares about this is going to ask the shop. "Hey, did you have an instructor yell at some diver who posted about it on ScubaBoard?"
Let's keep a little perspective here. There are tons of divers who have never heard of Scubaboard, or have but choose to make better use of their spare time. Avoiding having your shop's name come up in this context whenever somebody does a Google search is the priority, and is just prudent.

They may owe you an explanation, but the idea that everybody in the business owes Scubaboarders an explanation is a little bit silly, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I appreciate you helping me keep to the high road.

Keep trodding down the same "high road" over and over here and you're going to wear it down to the level of the low road.

At this point, you've made your point. No?

Let's keep a little perspective here. There are tons of divers who have never heard of Scubaboard, or have but choose to make better use of their spare time. Avoiding having your shop's name come up in this context whenever somebody does a Google search is the priority, and is just prudent.

They may owe you an explanation, but the idea that everybody in the business owes Scubaboarders an explanation is a little bit silly, in my opinion.

You are right. The only guy on this thread they owed anything to is the OP. I'm waiting to hear if he is satisfied with the shops response.

It took me about 10 minutes to ID the shop and will be fairly easy for me to avoid doing any business with them.

Keep trodding down the same "high road" over and over here and you're going to wear it down to the level of the low road.

At this point, you've made your point. No?

I'm not really sure what your point was.... if you didn't want to discuss it the easiest thing to do is not to post a reply.

The high road simply means not mentioning the shop name and not mentioning the instructor name and keeping the conversation vague enough that could apply to any of 5 or 10 shops. That keeps me and Scubaboard out of hot water from a legal perspective, nothing more. Reminding people to keep it there isn't going to wear it down to the low road.

I'll update the thread as appropriate. I should know in the next day or so what happens.

Beyond that, I've gotten some wonderful advice from some pretty wise divers. I don't think any of us are in danger of running out of twinkies, underwear, or our kool-aid flavor of choice. (Mine's grape btw). Until then I think the rest of us will continue to discuss various aspects of this. It's completely possible that your kool-aid will run dry before mine and that you may choose to refill it and not respond on this thread.... Hopefully that won't happen and you'll continue to contribute useful comments from the Garden State.
:D

::: deletes my post about the need for your buddy to learn better eye contact / buddy monitoring -- after I realize that there were another 22 pages that I missed seeing at first :::

Last edited:
He's a witch! ;-)

Let's dunk him under water! Just make sure to do the BWRAF first and send a buddy with him. Preferably warm, clear water with interesting pristine coral, whale sharks, pretty women or men (your preference), when you return : cold beverages, a massage, hot tub, tasty meal, comfy bed, clean restrooms, shower facilities, shade when you get out..... hmm, did I forget anything on the ideal diving vacation/witch hunt? :D

Let's dunk him under water! Just make sure to do the BWRAF first and send a buddy with him. Preferably warm, clear water with interesting pristine coral, whale sharks, pretty women or men (your preference), when you return : cold beverages, a massage, hot tub, tasty meal, comfy bed, clean restrooms, shower facilities, shade when you get out..... hmm, did I forget anything on the ideal diving vacation/witch hunt? :D

And a helpful post dive discussion with the DM/Instructor.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom