What to buy instead of dead Nitek Trio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSmith2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What to buy instead of died Nitek Trio? In general I need two or better three Nitrox mixtures with underwater switching for decompression, compass, user replaceable battery and affordable price. Trio's production is discontinued long time ago so it is impossible to just buy the new one. And I can't find any multi-brand catalog with searching by parameters. Any advises? Thanks.

The peregrine meets all of those criteria if available in your area.

The peregrine meets all of those criteria if available in your area.

Except compass, and user replaceable battery.

The Perdix meets all the requirements other than affordable price.

Yep, no compass. It seems I have to check the data sheets of all major manufacturers one by one...

Except compass, and user replaceable battery.

The Perdix meets all the requirements other than affordable price.
I was thinking the peregrine had an internal compass?
My mistake.

Economical....

You can always go back to a bottom timer and a gauge with cut tables....

folks will drop over $1k on a cell phone every time a new model comes out but gag on a PDC....

:surrender:

For CC - Shearwater Petrel II ext
For OC - Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2

You can't go wrong with either and I have used both models for many years.

Michael

Economical....

You can always go back to a bottom timer and a gauge with cut tables....

folks will drop over $1k on a cell phone every time a new model comes out but gag on a PDC....

:surrender:
It is far from the initial question, but try to change the point of view a little bit. The smartphone's software is growing (it terms of required computing resources, etc.) so fast that after several years you are just unable to use current versions (due to slowdown or incompatible OS). Also there is a highly visible progress in photo capabilities that is worth to pay for (my Canon 70D with 17-55IS is cowered by dust for years, a modern top smartphone with the couple click post-processing is just better to post a picture in FB for most of light conditions). But a dive computer is in general isolated device with constant and limited set of functions. For instance the only problem with Trio was low reliability (as it turned out when it died - unexpected from Japan's Seiko). After almost ten years I just do not need something new except better reliability. So I do not see any sense to buy something expensive and not reliable (it is assumed that the more complicated the device, the lower its reliability and the longer we use the device, the higher the chance of failure).
For CC - Shearwater Petrel II ext
For OC - Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2

You can't go wrong with either and I have used both models for many years.

Michael

It is out of budget. But thanks anyway.

So I do not see any sense to buy something expensive and not reliable (it is assumed that the more complicated the device, the lower its reliability and the longer we use the device, the higher the chance of failure).
Then you know nothing of what SW brings to the table....

Will my air consumption drop three times? Or will my lungs start to work like gills? Or will I stop experiencing nitrogen intoxication up to 150 m? Or will nitrogen stop dissolving in my blood? Or will it attract to me a great white and a whale shark simultaneously? Or will it connect and show me a NetFlix movie during one-hour deco stop may be? Really?
It's just a calculator with one (or 2-3-4) buttons, one (or two) well-known algorithm, display and speaker. Nothing more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom