Question What to bring vs rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just drills. I wish I had even one pic of me diving. Neither my wife nor I wish to burden ourselves with a camera.
You are alone in this issue.
In many popular diving destinations there are always professionals offering their services especially for video.

As for the OP's question:
For me it is all depend on location and/or duration of the trip.
If I am familiar with the operator and the destination I would not mind to rent otherwise bring my full kit.
A wee bit more if it is on LoB.

We bring everything. Regs, computers, wetsuit, camera, analyzer, flashlighs, boots... anything small and heavy goes in carry-on. Fins, BCD, mask in checked.

Renting a regulator is like using someone else's tooth brush.

Check prices on rental gear. If you are only diving one or two days vs 6 to 10 days, rental price adds up quick. Full gear rental runs about $25 to $30 a day.

Renting a regulator is like
Drinking from a washed glass in a restaurant. I take my own, both, for other reasons.

How about booties, mask, wet suit?
As mentioned, rental wetsuits/boots are like wearing someone else's used dirty underwear.

Mask I can wash good enough with baby shampoo till it squeeks but only in emergency.

we can have 2 carry-on bags each, 22lbs TOTAL weight, 22x16x10. We will use standard size duffle bags, which should come in just under the size restrictions
We are just open water divers, using air, and staying above -60 feet elevation except for the rare occasion to chase a mermaid deeper
This is from my perspective; a recreational diver who likes to dive when he travels - not one who necessarily plans a trip just to dive. In Cozumel, you can pretty much plan your trip anyway you want, especially if weight/size is a factor.

I travel with a large, hard case, checked bag (maybe 31"x20"x13.5") and a hard case carryon, the size of which you described. For Coz (really anyplace), I can get all of my gear and clothes split between both. Usually around 45 lbs in checked bag alone, so I don't see how I or anyone could take all of their gear in 2 smaller cases - and I have a travel BC and don't carry near what I guess most divers, who have replied, take with them.

The only thing I really feel I must have is my mask, because it's prescription. Having my own gear has saved me quite a bit of money vs renting, so if I had to rent, it wouldn't be a big deal. I could survive diving a week under the conditions you described with rental gear. I was surprised how many divers that I was on boats/ in contact with recently in Coz, actually rented gear. A BC, reg, and computer would be the next most important things I took. After that, I could rent - don't have a hangup on other people having used it.

Wish I could help you out on Scuba Club and their rental gear - I think they have lockers (without locks) Some of the other ops have tubs and/or hanging racks where you can leave your gear ,including rental gear, and they store it for you. You might call Scuba Club and ask them.

I'm headed to Cabo and since I only have a 3mm and shorty, I'm renting a 5mm while I'm there - actually it will be free as long as I dive 3 days with the op!

Check prices on rental gear. If you are only diving one or two days vs 6 to 10 days, rental price adds up quick. Full gear rental runs about $25 to $30 a day.

Check with Scuba Club, but in my experience if you book several days of diving with a shop they will often throw in some rental gear at a saving, sometimes no charge. I bring my own suit, reg, mask and fins but rent the BCD. Years ago, after shlepping down my old one a few times, I tried renting and found it works for me... especially if the shop gives me a deal. BCDs take up a LOT of space in the suitcase as well as being a PITA to clean & drip dry after dives (IMHO). Totally agree with bringing your own reg, mask & fins - fit is everything. I prefer whole foot fins so I pack neoprene socks. In April I would pack a shortie and I always bring my beanie. It helps with warmth as well as keeping my hair out of my face. A mesh bag takes up very little space and will carry what you want to bring on the boat. Have a great trip & let us know how it turned out.

We just finished 3 days of diving at Secrets and Dive House. We brought everything. Carried regs, masks and computers in carry on rest went in an Aqualung 850 roller bag (2 complete sets) 50lbs total.

When I learned to dive I rented gear. Then I bought my own gear and moved to Guam. Then I sold my gear and moved back to the States. Then I started diving again with rented gear. Then I bought my own gear. Now I have too much gear.
Renting gear is OK. Owning gear is OK. I was recently on a boat with eight other people and they were all renting gear and nobody complained. We all had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom