Question What to bring vs rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like bringing everything is a popular option. If I could have found a direct flight I would have done that most likely. With having to change planes in Mexico City, and never been in a Mexican airport before, I'm worried about the hassle/delay checked bags might add... last thing I want is to be stuck in Mexico City, with my non-refundable reservations going to waste. For $240 I can bring a checked bag still, up to 55lbs, something to think about.

Probably should have gone with a flight that only had stops in the US... let my wife talk me in to "fly from Mexico, shorter flight and cheaper". In the end though, I wouldn't be surprised if the airport experience in Mexico is less hassle than the US (aka - less security), so maybe next trip I'll feel better about bringing checked bags. My wife has been on two flights in Mexico, and didn't have checked bags on either, and both were non-stop -- so hard to judge from her experience. She also has a Mexican passport, so customs was probably easier for her.

Don't have your expectations set high for Volaris or easy security and don't count on security being less hassle - especially in Mexico City. Also, just because your wife has a Mexican passport doesn't mean you get to go through the security and customs lines with her - you will be going through your lines and she will go through hers. Your trip sounds like much more of a hassle than a more expensive more direct route would be. Volaris is like the Spirit Airlines of Mexico. Honestly, your trip sounds exhausting.

I get that a dollar is a dollar and every bit helps, but why travel to a tropical dive destination for a vacation you're dropping a significant amount of money for and pinch pennies by renting gear or finding a flight that won't save you anything at all in the long run. I've just never understood why people would go on a dive trip and even consider renting gear. Isn't that why we buy our own gear? To dive with it? Whatever it costs to take it with you should just be part of your travel expense - don't try to overthink it.

And just FYI - you should never ever have to take tanks and lead to a dive destination. That is provided in the cost of your diving package.

Leave the knife at home, it is prohibited in the marine park - which is where you will be diving.

Finally, the way to best enjoy your trip to Cozumel - relax and go with the flow. Don't try to over plan or overthink it - this sets you up for disappointments and exhaustion.

Don't have your expectations set high for Volaris or easy security and don't count on security being less hassle - especially in Mexico City. Also, just because your wife has a Mexican passport doesn't mean you get to go through the security and customs lines with her - you will be going through your lines and she will go through hers. Your trip sounds like much more of a hassle than a more expensive more direct route would be. Volaris is like the Spirit Airlines of Mexico. Honestly, your trip sounds exhausting.

I get that a dollar is a dollar and every bit helps, but why travel to a tropical dive destination for a vacation you're dropping a significant amount of money for and pinch pennies by renting gear or finding a flight that won't save you anything at all in the long run. I've just never understood why people would go on a dive trip and even consider renting gear. Isn't that why we buy our own gear? To dive with it? Whatever it costs to take it with you should just be part of your travel expense - don't try to overthink it.

And just FYI - you should never ever have to take tanks and lead to a dive destination. That is provided in the cost of your diving package.

Leave the knife at home, it is prohibited in the marine park - which is where you will be diving.

Finally, the way to best enjoy your trip to Cozumel - relax and go with the flow. Don't try to over plan or overthink it - this sets you up for disappointments and exhaustion.
I agree with all of this. Lesson learned -- how hard/bad of a lesson it will be, is yet to see. Looking over the flight options again, it actually looks pretty easy to fly from Tucson to Cozumel, one stop in Dallas or Houston -- not sure how I missed this, maybe I was tired/sleepy. Everything I was looking at before was taking me the opposite direction, stop in LAX, and also another stop in Mexico (3 flights totaling 24 hours didn't sound fun).

Going to stay positive though, and go with the flow... make it an adventure and learning experience.

I agree with all of this. Lesson learned -- how hard/bad of a lesson it will be, is yet to see. Looking over the flight options again, it actually looks pretty easy to fly from Tucson to Cozumel, one stop in Dallas or Houston -- not sure how I missed this, maybe I was tired/sleepy. Everything I was looking at before was taking me the opposite direction, stop in LAX, and also another stop in Mexico (3 flights totaling 24 hours didn't sound fun).

Going to stay positive though, and go with the flow... make it an adventure and learning experience.
That sounds perfect! Enjoy tour trip!!

From my (ignorant) perspective, I would think the hardest part of your trip will be making it out of Juarez! :wink:

When I lived in San Diego I gave the Tijuana airport a try a couple of times. Wasn't worth the hassle. And that was in the days when border cities were considered pretty safe.

Neoprene - n/a or Rent - hopefully nobody needs any, my wife might, if so she will rent
I always take my own 1 mil jumpsuit, then I can feel comfortable wearing a rental suit over if needed.
Fins - Rent
Take the ones you love.
Dive Light
Take yours. You'll want it on all dives.
Knife - Bring (kind of)
Nope.
Dive Bags/Backpacks - n/a Leave at home
I take mine.
i would never rent a wetsuit. For me, it would be like renting underwear. The water will be starting to warm up in April. I will be switching from my 5 mil into a 3! Leave the knife home. Take every thing else.
I always take my own 1 mil jumpsuit and sometimes I'll take my 3 mil shorty to wear over, but as long as I have my own jumpsuit, then renting an over suit wouldn't bother me.
When I lived in San Diego I gave the Tijuana airport a try a couple of times. Wasn't worth the hassle. And that was in the days when border cities were considered pretty safe.
I've read that you can park in the US, walk over to the airport by a pedestrian bridge, and never expose yourself to the city.
. Looking over the flight options again, it actually looks pretty easy to fly from Tucson to Cozumel, one stop in Dallas or Houston -- not sure how I missed this, maybe I was tired/sleepy.
This looks reasonable. You do want at least two hours to clear Immigration and Customs in DFW on the return.

1642603571772.png

I always take my own 1 mil jumpsuit and sometimes I'll take my 3 mil shorty to wear over, but as long as I have my own jumpsuit, then renting an over suit wouldn't bother me.

There's an idea I haven't heard before though I think a rashguard might do better. Still, I think the concern over wetsuits is overblown. Just make sure they are rinsed well with some disinfectant. Not that anything in a wetsuit is actually going to do any harm. I wonder how many people rent regs and don't bring their own mouthpiece? I think I'd rather have some neoprene against my crotch that had been against someone else's crotch than to have a mouthpiece in my mouth that had been in someone else's mouth.

There's an idea I haven't heard before though I think a rashguard might do better.
I wore it at DUI drysuit field days. I just like the feel of my own suit on my skin whatever else I may wear over. A thin rashguard might work ok, but I like at least one mil there in the summer. I wore it in Roatan in July and still added a beanie as I got chilled some.

Everything except the family. They won't fit in carry-on.

I can do my full kit and a weeks worth of clothes in the carry-on and personal item. Of course the clothes consist of one t-shirt, one pair of shorts and whatever I'm wearing on the airplane but whatever.

Over-plan and then wing it. Best travel and life advice I ever received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom