What things in diving give you the willies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of something else that gave me the willies. On one of our Red Sea trips, we dove the Salem Express, a ferry that went down in 1991 with appalling loss of life. It was an extremely eerie dive. You could see the suitcases in the holds, some of them open . . . the sand had belongings and children's toys. Although conditions were perfect for the dive and it's an impressive wreck, I felt as though I could hear the ghosts whispering. I don't actually regret diving it, but I would sit it out if a boat went there again. I have talked to other folks who have dived that wreck and feel the same way.

Totally agree with you. I dove this wreck as well and found it really creepy. It was my first wreck ever and I found it difficult to try another one afterwards.

Also, teleporting sharks. The big ones that suddenly appear in front of you, look you over dismissively with those black eyes, then just as suddenly disappear. I usually don't mind sharks and enjoy seeing them, but I've had this experience twice and both my buddy and I were freaked out.

this -

Aplace Shark.jpg

nice Stoo! :rofl3:

A shark "teleported" itself into my flashlight beam less than ten feet away while night diving at Minerva Reef. Only 250 miles to the nearest hospital by sailboat.

I dunno about sharks, but I did once have this come swimming at me out of the dark. It was fully grown ... about nine feet long and with a head bigger than mine ... and moving fast.

Didn't exactly give me the willies, but it was startling for those couple seconds it took my brain to process what I was looking at ... makes ya wonder what else is out there, just beyond the halo of your light ...

P1010018a.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Also Lion's Mane jellies. I know they can't kill me, but they just look so dark and threatening...

Apparently you haven't read Sherlock Holmes recounting in "The Adventure of the Lion's Main."... :D

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 09:06 AM ----------

I..but I did once have this come swimming at me out of the dark. It was fully grown ...

P1010018a.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Imagine how it felt!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

Ah yes, speaking of teleported sharks... The oh-so-rare Georgian Bay Wood Shark... Always a source of the "Willies", but fortunately, they are exceedingly rare...

What things in diving give you the willies? A beautiful woman diving along a shark, dunno where I´d keep looking if they were to separate ^^

I used to think sharks might do it, but having now been on dives with sharks close enough to touch, I found I wasn't scared or nervous at all. They were highly uninterested in me.

The one time I was a bit nervous/scared was on a dive in the BVIs when I was new to diving. I was diving with 3 other people (a couple of friends and the DM). The friends paired up and I paired with the DM. Being new to diving, I ran low on air first and the DM and I headed for the surface and our small inflatable boat. When we reached there, I agreed to hang out on the surface next to the boat while he went back down to check on the other pair of divers. After he went back down, I was relaxing on the surface and periodically putting my face in the water to see if I could spot them below. About 10 minutes later, I look down and spot a massive barracuda swimming up the anchor line toward me. Gave me chills. It got close and then proceeded to circle me a few times, like it was sizing me up. I never turned my back on it and it eventually swam away and out of view. The next few minutes of waiting for the rest of my crew to return were far less relaxing and felt pretty long, as I was sure that barracuda was just waiting for me to let my guard down so he could take a finger or two. ;-)

Barracuda. I just don't like the way they float around and stare at me with their beady little eyes. Even sharks don't make me as uncomfortable as barracuda. Probably because sharks don't just sit there and watch me. Some fish have no manners.

Back
Top Bottom