What thickness of hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjrussell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to diving and confused by the salesmen. I need a hooded vest for the Channel Islands (temp in the mid 50's to mid 60's). The vest will go over a 7mm suit. Would you recommend a 5/3 or a 7/5?

I like the Henderson Hyperstretch, but the LDS only has a 5/3. I got a sales pitch that the Titanium lining made the 5/3 as warm as a 7/5... of course I don't believe that, but what do others think of this hooded vest?

I'm leaning toward the 7/5 because I know how to cool off when I'm too warm... but the converse is not as easy!

I am not sure, but the Titanium coating seems only to be good if it is against the skin. So if it is over the suit it would not be the same.

I have a couple of suits with the coating.

I forgot about hooded vests. My wife uses one. I do not. They are normally 3mm on the body. She is pretty small, but uses more weight than I do because of the hooded vest. She wears it on the inside.

If the thicker 5mm on body fits well and is comfortable, it is probably the best solution.

Last edited:
Which Channel Island will you be diving?
When will you be going on the trip?

In general, hooded vests are worn beneath the wetsuit (at least that's how it's done down here in San Diego)...but I have seen one person wear a hooded vest on the outside.

I'd probably go with the thicker hooded vest because I can get cold pretty easily in the water temps you'll be diving in. If you are more cold-tolerant, it's possible that you could get away with the 5/3.

I've never believed in the marketing spiel regarding special titanium or gold wetsuit lining adding warmth.

How much will you be paying for the Henderson Hyperstretch hooded vest? If it's approaching $200, you might want to reassess the cost-to-value ratio.

I'm aiming toward the thicker hood/vest. I'm not worried about being too cold, I can always vent some water in and cool off.

Titanium is nonsense.

For diving down into the 50's you will want to go with a 7mm hooded step-in vest. Bare has an excellent vest in that configuration.

If you find you have warmer conditions at times then adding the 3/5 chicken vest to the wardrobe is a nice way to drop some weight. I have both vests and they each get good use in the right conditions.

Vests I'm mentioning are shown here.

Pete

You might also want to make sure about the thickness designations. Most vests are thicker in the hood than the body, i.e. a Pinnacle 7mm vest is a 3mm body and 7mm hood. I have both a Pinnacle regular hooded vest (worn under the wetsuit, except for when my wetsuit zipper broke) for most diving here in the channel Islands, but also have the Bare 7mm step in (no legs or arms) and that is toasty over a 7mm wetsuit.

I've never owned a Hyperstretch (only their budget line, Neosport) but other divers who have say they dive cold in the Hyperstretch products. I've dived almost all the Channel Islands from San Miguel to San Clemente and use a 7mm full suit plus a 3mm hooded vest and am fine. However, I have enough bioprene to add extra warmth and generally dive warm (probably because my nerves are already frazzled and don't transmit the cold to what's left of my brain).

I hope you have a one piece 7 mil that seals/fits well. If so I would get the Bare 7 mil hooded jacket,the sport is a tougher neoprene than the Elastek. I have already done the farmer john 7 mil with the 3/5 vest underneath and it wasn't warm enough. Hopefully my learning curve will save you some money :)>

I'm leaning toward the 7/5 because I know how to cool off when I'm too warm... but the converse is not as easy!

Good call. I'd get the 7/5 vest.

Couldn't get a hold of a 7/5 for the right price so I got the 7mm Pinnacle. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh and to answer an earlier question... We (wife and I) plan to dive all over the Channel Islands and where ever else we roam. I've already got a dive lined up for Norway in October!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom