What thickness of hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble...

So I dive a dry suit so I'm NOT trying to start a I'm right/you're wrong-thing:no:

Wouldn't placing the hooded vest UNDER the suit allow for water to flush? Up here in Monterey, the few people in our group who dive wet put the vest OVER the suit. Again, not trying to start anything!

Cliff

The Pinnacle is made to wear under. It has a neck seal that reduces water flow. Also wearing them over the suit allows the water to flow through the arm holes between the vest and suit.

another vote for Bare step on hooded vest if you don't mind the additional thickness. they come in 5mm and 7mm

I made a mistake on my prior post and can not edit it anymore. It is probably best to go with the thicker 7mm since it is to be worn outside.

I have not seen a hooded vest used over a suit. I have seen 3mm shorty over wetsuits.

The list price on the hooded vest seems pretty high. I saw the 5mm on closeout at SCUBAToys. Limited sizes.

Bubble...

So I dive a dry suit so I'm NOT trying to start a I'm right/you're wrong-thing:no:

Wouldn't placing the hooded vest UNDER the suit allow for water to flush? Up here in Monterey, the few people in our group who dive wet put the vest OVER the suit. Again, not trying to start anything!

Cliff

I've never dived with a dry suit. But from what I understand, there are seals to prevent water from entering (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you are diving dry, having a hooded vest under would render the neck seal useless.

I'm not entirely sure which method would be better in a wetsuit. I'll try it out once I get a chance to get a hooded vest and go diving soon.

USCS,
Shoot! THAT must be why my suit is always full of water!! I was always thinking it was because I'd leave the zipper open so I could flush out my pee. Silly me :dork2:

Seriously, though. You are correct. It would render the neck seal usless. That's why I don't wear a hooded vest with my dry suit. I suppose I didn't clarify my statement. When wearing a wetsuit, I've never seen the hooded vest under the suit. However, not many in my dive group wear wetsuits.

Thanks for the laugh :rofl3:

Cliff

Remember that there are 2 basic styles of hooded vest.

The "chicken vest stops around the navel and is worn under a dull suit. If you wear it over the water will flood in from the bottom and have limited benefit. When worn under it's held tight to the body and mutes zipper seepage. They sometimes have a dicke that forms a a labyrinth seal around the neck. The torso is commonly 3mm with hoods ranging from 3-7mm

The hooded step-in shorty extends down to mid thigh much like the Jacket in John or Jane set. The zipper will be diagonal from one thigh to the opposite cheek. The arm openings may include gaskets and it is worn over the full suit. The size is cut to layer over the matching suit. These are usually 5 or 7mm.

Each has it's place in balancing you neoprene burden and thermal protection. Pictures here.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom