What the heck? - Part II (your dive gear x'mas wish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
aw meyn! ate snowbear is "pasaway" na din hahahahaha

lolo pao: what's the translation of pasaway?

what the heck

pasaway, rootwords --> pa saway

pa = adverb
saway = castigate

pasaway = to be castigated always.

Snowbear:
It's not that I have a headache with the translation, it's that when I attempt to contribute or join in a friendly conversation and the folks start speaking and joking among each other in a language they know I do not know, my perception is that they don't want me, as an "outsider," be part of the conversation.

Hey Snow, I can relate. Being a "balikbayan" (Term for Filipino's from abroad going back to the PI...balik = back, bayan = country so "back in the country") I also have difficulties keeping up with my kapatids. Even when going out here, when people break into tagalog I'm usually quiet cause I have to translate it first in my head then converse back! Pretty funny (or frustrating!) when trying to converse with me.

Well, thanks for sticking around. If anyone smack talks you in tagalog (but I seriously doubt it) I'll make sure to slap them at the next DOR. :wink: WHO WANTS SOME???

btw: I sent my christmas list to my parents and siblings back home. Only one thing on my list: oceanic vt pro! let's see if Santa comes to town...

jonix:
aw meyn! ate snowbear is "pasaway" na din hahahahaha

lolo pao: what's the translation of pasaway?
paolov:
what the heck

pa = adverb
saway = castigate

cas·ti·gate :
1. To inflict severe punishment on. See Synonyms at punish.
2. To criticize severely.

:17: :bawling: :17:

paolov:
what the heck

pa = adverb
saway = castigate

I thought pasaway meant someone who's always being difficult. Difficult in a good/jokingly way, di ba?

(di ba? = no? like how Canadians say "eh?". di = no, ba = puts a sentence in the form of a question)

Snowbear:
cas·ti·gate :
1. To inflict severe punishment on. See Synonyms at punish.
2. To criticize severely.

:17: :bawling: :17:

2. To criticize severely. <------ this

in this way , here in PPD it has another meaning, as Chip says :Difficult in a good/jokingly way, di ba.

the guys here have been catigasted several times already for being "makulit" in terms of TOS violation, hence being castigated.

however they did not intentioanlly mean to do so; good/joking way

so in PPD terms "pasaway" = being naughty just like a little kid does, no serious bad intent.

Back
Top Bottom