What the heck? - Part II (your dive gear x'mas wish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104:
I thought pasaway meant someone who's always being difficult. Difficult in a good/jokingly way, di ba?

(di ba? = no? like how Canadians say "eh?". di = no, ba = puts a sentence in the form of a question)
Tagalog 101 - enrolment on-going, free tuition.
Venue - At any Anilao Dive Site (during SI only)
When - Saturday, Nov. 26

clgsamson:
When - Saturday, Nov. 26
lol, thanks. Can't make it this sat but will definitely take you up on it!

clgsamson:
I'm trying :D
clgsamson:
When - Saturday, Nov. 26
I'll be in an airplane somewhere over the Pacific on that day.... :D

paolov:
2. To criticize severely. <------ this

in this way , here in PPD it has another meaning, as Chip says :Difficult in a good/jokingly way, di ba.
Sorry.

Don't mean to be difficult and as far as I know, have also tried not to criticize severely.

Sorry if it was taken that way when I expressed my perceived impression of rudeness from you guys when being excluded from a conversation :frown:

This just goes to show us all that a language or dialect is a whole lot more than just the words....

Snowbear:
This just goes to show us all that a language or dialect is a whole lot more than just the words....

oh yes, the meanings of the guys here , have double meanings at times, and it takes knowing the guys in a more personal nature that allows us to be "pasaway" here, thanks to our PPD DOR gatherings...

ask Halthron, he got a dose of that and i think he is now one pasaway dude as well, hahhahahahha

Snowbear:
I'm trying :D

I'll be in an airplane somewhere over the Pacific on that day.... well.... actually.... it'll be the 27th over there by the time I land..... in Palau :D
Wow! Great! (Haneps!, Galing!)...well say Hi to the sharks for me at the Blue Corner. And don't forget your reef hook!

Snowbear:
ok... this'll take a bit...

"kuya" as you already know means "older brother"... it is a sign of respect and is used in many cases by house servants when referring to their employers (let's not get into the whole employment bit hehehehehe)

many servants come from the visayan region where their accents tend to twist tagalog a bit (generally the same way s'uthners and "yankees" pronounce words diffrently)... "kuya" (koo-yah) can sometimes come out as "koya" (koh-yah)

now: there is a very common joke here of how a maid is overheard shouting out: "koya waaaaaag... magagalit po si atiiii!" (sir, please don't! ma'am will get angry!!!) usually pertaining to how a lustful employer would try to get some with the maid while his wife's away

so why koya caloy? it's from caloy's way of saying "hi and welcome" to the new female members of the PPD: "welcome, iha" (iha from the spanish "hija" meaning daughter)... this is meant to sound like a really sleazy dirty old man (it's what sleazy DOMs say to their very young "targets" in girlie bars and such)

so we have since referred to caloy as "koya" in reference to his being a sleazy DOM (w/c from what i know is not [entirely] the truth) hahahahahahahahahaha..

seriously though, caloy's not old...

yes, it does lose some in the translation hahahahaha... hope it clears some stuff though...

Jag

shugar:
ok... this'll take a bit...

"kuya" as you already know means "older brother"... it is a sign of respect and is used in many cases by house servants when referring to their employers (let's not get into the whole employment bit hehehehehe)

many servants come from the visayan region where their accents tend to twist tagalog a bit (generally the same way s'uthners and "yankees" pronounce words diffrently)... "kuya" (koo-yah) can sometimes come out as "koya" (koh-yah)

now: there is a very common joke here of how a maid is overheard shouting out: "koya waaaaaag... magagalit po si atiiii!" (sir, please don't! ma'am will get angry!!!) usually pertaining to how a lustful employer would try to get some with the maid while his wife's away

so why koya caloy? it's from caloy's way of saying "hi and welcome" to the new female members of the PPD: "welcome, iha" (iha from the spanish "hija" meaning daughter)... this is meant to sound like a really sleazy dirty old man (it's what sleazy DOMs say to their very young "targets" in girlie bars and such)

so we have since referred to caloy as "koya" in reference to his being a sleazy DOM (w/c from what i know is not [entirely] the truth) hahahahahahahahahaha..

seriously though, caloy's not old...

yes, it does lose some in the translation hahahahaha... hope it clears some stuff though...

Jag

Nyahahahahaha... Bwahahahaha....Mwahahahahaha... uLOL (Laughing OUt Loud) LMAO out here..... Perfect translation. Pasok na pasok! (translated swak, meaning really entered the topic.) I'm getting lost here.

Anyway... pasaway to me means: tigas-ulo = hard-headed = KSP (kulang sa pansin=short of attention) = always on the illegal side. Also, pretty and handsome and also a good buddy so he/she always get away with being a "pasaway"...a pasaway is never boring. we're all pasaways here, IMHO... even Matthew who's so angelic-looking in person can be a little pasaway pala (also)... cute. Halthron? Hmmm, i think he's a little boring 'coz i haven't seen him becoming a pasaway ever.

Snowbear:
So it seems pasaway can also be interpreted as 'troublemaker'? heh - now there's a description that fits this bear :D

troublemaker,..... hmmm welll i guess the MODs would agree with you on this then hehehhehehhe

Back
Top Bottom