What the heck is a H valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt P

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently decided I'd like to start diving with a redundant air source. I always thought that meant 2 options: pony or doubles. Someone suggested that I could use an H valve instead.

So - what the heck is an H valve & what does it buy me? Is it a good alternative?

Matt P:
I've recently decided I'd like to start diving with a redundant air source. I always thought that meant 2 options: pony or doubles. Someone suggested that I could use an H valve instead.

So - what the heck is an H valve & what does it buy me? Is it a good alternative?

It offers redundant First stages.

Imagine a doubles manifold run through a trash compactor so it would fit on a single tank.

You have 2 first stages. Like a doubles rig. But they're both on a single tank. No redundant gas supply - just redundant gas delivery equipment.

v104.jpg

What are you doing that makes you want to dive a redundant gas source?

---
Ken

Thanks for the reply and the picture.

Mo2vation:
It offers redundant First stages.

Imagine a doubles manifold run through a trash compactor so it would fit on a single tank.

You have 2 first stages. Like a doubles rig. But they're both on a single tank. No redundant gas supply - just redundant gas delivery equipment.

So that means that instead of an octo with 2 regs on it I have (essentially) 2 valves coming off a single tank? Is there an isolator to turn-off one of the regs?

Hmmm..it sounds like it doesn't really offer very much. I'm still in trouble if an O ring blows on my tank or I hit an OOA situation. Is there some benefit I'm missing?

Mo2vation:
What are you doing that makes you want to dive a redundant gas source?

I'm preparing for my first dive off of NJ.

Matt P:
Thanks for the reply and the picture.

So that means that instead of an octo with 2 regs on it I have (essentially) 2 valves coming off a single tank? Is there an isolator to turn-off one of the regs?

Hmmm..it sounds like it doesn't really offer very much. I'm still in trouble if an O ring blows on my tank or I hit an OOA situation. Is there some benefit I'm missing?

I'm preparing for my first dive off of NJ.

My buddy is my redundant gas supply.

Personally, I don't see the benefit of adding an "H" valve. Others may.

To me, adding another first stage means just another machine to get between me and my gas, you know? I have hundreds and hundreds of dives on my one first stage (with two seconds) and its performed perfectly. Adding another first stage to the mix without adding a true redundant gas supply doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm an open water weenie.

---
Ken

The real benefit is 2 first stages. Of course this implies that if a first stage does blow out or malfunction that you turn off the correct valve.

Tsalagi:
The real benefit is 2 first stages. Of course this implies that if a first stage does blow out or malfunction that you turn off the correct valve.

I don't see the benefit of having two first stages, with only one tank. I mean maybe back when this technology was new and still a bit dodgy. But now? Who dives these things anymore? I've seen one pair diving this rig in the last 3 or 4 years.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I don't see the benefit of having two first stages, with only one tank. I mean maybe back when this technology was new and still a bit dodgy. But now? Who dives these things anymore? I've seen one pair diving this rig in the last 3 or 4 years.
Ken

Yeah - that is what I'm thinking, too. I'm a newbie so maybe there's something I'm missing. Otherwise, I guess it's back to the ole pony vs doubles debate.

Think deep & solo. Not only does an H valve give you a redundant 1st stage, it also allows to isolate either one.

the advantage of the h-valve over a regular valve is that you can have two independent first stages. that way, if one first stage blows on you, you can
switch to the other.

the disadvantage of the h-valve when compared to a double tank setup is that
if there's a problem with the burst disk(s) on an h-valve or if something goes wrong
with the seating of the insert itself, you lose both regulators. with a double set up,
you'd still have one tank functional if that happened.

The only real benefit is the redundent first stages.

My cavern/'cave intro' class required either H valve or doubles with isolating manifold so you'd have 2 first stages. I agree though, for the most part there is no real benefit -- other than redundent first stages.

Back
Top Bottom