What spg do you use and do you recommend it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am switching out some gear. I have been leaning toward DIR recommendations. I am looking for a single spg. I was hoping some of the more experienced divers would recommend an SPG. By "experienced" I mean divers that have used more than one type of SPG within the last 5 years. I was looking at The black face HOG but it seems like they have had alot of issues with them leaking.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

I hope you're wrong, I'm planning on getting a few. But then Chris always makes good if there's a problem.

Most brass and glass SPGs are made by the same company in Italy so am a little confused why the "HOG" branded SPG would leak any more than any of the others. I have owned DiveRite branded, Highland branded and HOG branded, bar branding all look identical. I have never had any problems with a leaky SPG and have been using them for around 6 years. I use the 1.75" ones as the 2" ones are for me both too large and too heavy. I also like the ones without the "red" line at 50Bar.

I am switching out some gear. I have been leaning toward DIR recommendations. I am looking for a single spg. I was hoping some of the more experienced divers would recommend an SPG. By "experienced" I mean divers that have used more than one type of SPG within the last 5 years. I was looking at The black face HOG but it seems like they have had alot of issues with them leaking.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Just curious where have you read/seen reports about them leaking? Cheers.

I use a 2" Hog B&G spg. I'm very happy with it. I switched from a 3 gauge console when I went to a wrist mounted computer and compass.

... I also like the ones without the "red" line at 50Bar.

I know this is off topic from the OP's original topic and I do not want to distract from it as I think it is a very good question. But out of curiousity, can you even see the "red" line at depth? :crazyeye:

~Michael~

I know this is off topic from the OP's original topic and I do not want to distract from it as I think it is a very good question. But out of curiousity, can you even see the "red" line at depth? :crazyeye:

~Michael~

Hi Michael, Yes you can.

I'm partial to the old small Scubapros.....brass but not glass, prefer the white and blue face.
The only poor brass gauge I've found was the Mares style "flat brass".

I have used many different types in the last few years, I have started using Cressi Mini SPG's they are inexpensive, reliable(I have never had one fail in 3 years), I just bought my 6th for rental..

Not sure if they are DIR compliant.

Cheers,
Roger

Back
Top Bottom