What spg do you use and do you recommend it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG? I just wait until my reg breathes hard and pull my J-valve.

Seriously, I've used several brass and glass SPGs and the only time I've had a problem with any of them was when I dropped the tank on top of the gauge. It did "leak" after that. Only SPG I ever had leak without such assistance was an Oceanic, but I doubt you'd be considering one of them.

We have quite a variety of them on various regs . . . every once in a while one will develop a leak behind the glass face (I think that's happened twice in six years.) The two that failed were different brands.

I like the big ones on primary setups and the smaller ones on deco regs.

Scubapro's brass SPG is bullet proof.

I have several of the black faced hog SPG. I had an issue with one, it wasn't a leak so much as an accuracy issue. Chris is sending me a new one to replace it. One issue (resolved without drama) out of a dozen or so devices isn't so bad. But really, you can't go wrong with any standalone brass and glass SPGs.

I just recently switched out two primary spg's. Replaced older 2 inch OMS spg's with 2.5 inch black faced HOG spg's. The black face (and the 2.5 inch) makes them MUCH easier to read. To date I've probably got 15 or so dives on one of them and just a hand full on the other. They seem to be working out very well. No problems to report.

I like one that I have with both PSI and BAR on the dial. Not that it works any better, just makes it easier if I dive with a metric head overseas as I don't have to convert in my head.

One thing I do like to do is to compare pressure on a new gauge at 3000PSI and a used bottle (<1000lbs) as soon as I receive it with a known tank checker or existing gauges. First, it increases you confidence the gauge is working before you dive. Second, if there is a marginal accuracy issue its a lot easier to return it before it gets wet than after it is used and fight the warranty issues.

Scubapro's brass SPG is bullet proof.

Bullet Proof...:hm:

Is this rabbit bullet proof or is it elk bullet proof? :m16:

Sounds like we have the potential for a 'gear review' :nailbiter:

~ME~

P.S. Beaverdivers, I will be heading home at the end of this month with a slight lay-over in Utila/Roatan for a month. The next time I head thru the valley on I-70 I will stop in and say hello.

I like one that I have with both PSI and BAR on the dial. Not that it works any better ... I don't have to convert in my head.

That sounds like a clever idea...I like it. :thumbs-up

~ME~

I use the smallest Dive Rite plastic, white-background gauge as a backup to my AI computer, but can someone discuss the readability issue of white vs black background face especially in night diving?

Interestingly our anesthesia machines use black background on the analog gauges, but they're usually used in a bright setting.

Back
Top Bottom