what sort of compressor do you need to fill your own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a low pressure compressor (150PSI) for a manufacturing plant. It is also 480V, available in most homes:D. Not for diving.

Oops, was in a hurry (quiting time :D) Should have read more carefully.

Actually, there are compressors like this. They're intended for precharged airguns and paintball tanks and they'll go to 3000 psi. The problem for scuba applications is that they don't deliver the same quality of air and the cheapest ones weren't intended to charge an 80 cf tank. Your typical paintball bottle is about 6 cf and the reservoir of a precharged airgun might be 3 cf.

Compressors like this, but not for scuba diving.
There should be something for scuba diving, I mean the air quality and the amount of air.

The case mentioned by Hank49, that Bauer Jr 2 compressor with a capacity of 3.2 CFM takes only aprox. 25 minutes to fill an AL80 tank.
I would not worry if a personal home compressor takes 12 hours to fill an AL80 (0.1 CFM).

I would not worry if a personal home compressor takes 12 hours to fill an AL80 (0.1 CFM).

I would, compressors have to be monitored, not something you turn on and walk away from for 12 hours. I am there every minute my compressor is running.

Bicycle pump?

Ike aka "my arms are tired"

I've actually got a 3500 psi hand pump that looks just like a bicycle pump. You'd have to be marathon runner or a triathlete to pump up a full size scuba tank with it though.

A compressor is only half the battle. Do you have plenty of cylinders? If you have to pump your own gas, do you also have inspect your own cylinders and maintain your own valves? Do you have the tools and equipment to maintain a compressor and inspect cylinders? You can get used compressors rather cheaply, if you want a new one then plan on about $5,000.

A compressor is only half the battle. Do you have plenty of cylinders? If you have to pump your own gas, do you also have inspect your own cylinders and maintain your own valves? Do you have the tools and equipment to maintain a compressor and inspect cylinders? You can get used compressors rather cheaply, if you want a new one then plan on about $5,000.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No. less

Shelden Sporting Goods Inc. - High Pressure Air Compressors

I bought a compressor a few months ago from Shelden Sporting Goods.

I bought it mainly for the convenience and so far have been very pleased with my decision.

It is nice to walk out to the garage to fill my tanks instead of going to the LDS and spending in excess of an 1.5 hrs.

I am able to fill my H/P 100 or H/P 130 in about 25 min's for each.

Jim Shelden is retired from the Aero-Space industry and does excellent work, he has been building compressors for a long time.

Take a look at his website and see what you think.

Ron Henderson

Uneducated question:

I'm a volly firefighter and all our tanks (and every FF tank I've ever seen) is a DIN connection. I guess it's OK to fill a tank using DIN/yoke converters?

Ike aka "firehouse nearby = compressor across the street"

SCBA tanks are not DIN, they are male thread, DIN fittings are female tank side.

On a happy note, you can get a handy little converter for SCBA to yoke SCUBA or DIN, that is how the air gets into my tanks. Your firehouse may have one, alot of firehouses fill for local public safety divers.

2 things to consider, check the air quality report for the compressor, if there has not been one done, don't fill with it. Compressed gas that is OK at 1 ATM may not be good at 3 or 4 ATM when the concentration of contaminats gets higher. You also want to check the hydrocarbon level, don't pump hydrocarbons into an O2 clean tank, because then it will need to be recleaned for oxygen service.

Second, OSHA required fill stations in firehouses contain the tank during filling, make sure what you want to fill with fit, or if the compressor has a "remote" whip. The compressor I have access to you have to take the boot off a 100cf tank to get it in, and if I want to fill doubles there I will have to spring for a remote whip, which I plan on doing.

If you are going to fill, have someone show you how it works. And return the compressor to the "firehouse" settings when you are done. The unit I use fills SCBA tanks to a rated preasure of 2200, so I try not to leave the reg set to 3500 when I leave.

Last, keep it on the down low if you get compressor access. If the wrong person finds out you are using a firehouse compressor for non-firehouse purposes, you may lose access and get the guy who let you use it jammed up.

I've owned an oil-less compressor for about 5 years, and I'm sure the per tank cost, even factoring in maintenance and depreciation (on this second-hand compressor) is comparable-to-less than LDS fills. You can manage the compressor to keep costs in line if that's your goal. The convenience, flexibility, and quality of fills make it hands-down the right thing for me. Plus, I like stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom